Chpt. 26 | 不在着信

{Unanswered Calls}

𝔸𝕜𝕒𝕣𝕚'𝕤 𝕆𝕍~

"My Dear...she's calling again." Akuma sighs as he holds up my ringing phone. A defeated sigh leaves my own lips as I debate if I should answer or not. It's not that I don't want to talk to them, I'm just nervous. "That's the fourth time today. I really think you should answer." "I just... I haven't answered any of their calls since I got here. What do I say when I answer?" "Maybe tell them how you really feel..?" He offers with a small smile. I sigh again while shaking my head. "You didn't raise me to talk about my feelings." "...I'm aware, kid. Thanks for reminding me." "Sorry... I'm a little on edge." "I can tell." He grins knowingly, and it irks me immensely. I merely roll my eyes and turn away from him so I don't get the urge to punch him.

             "Ah, you must be April. Hello, my Dear." All of my movements cease, even my breathing stops as I feel my heart thumping in my ears. "Um... Hello..? Who are you?" "Oh, where are my manners? My name is Akuma Hayashi. I was Akari's caretaker before she moved back to New York." "What?! Why is she with you?!" 💙 "With who, April?!" 💜 "Did she actually answer?!" 🧡 "Angelcakes, I miss you!"

             "Can I please have my phone back, Sensei?" I hold my hand out expectantly, but Akuma pulls the phone away and holds it above his head. "Are you going to talk to them?" "...Yes." "Then yes, I'll give it back." He hands me the phone with a victorious grin. I sigh before going outside and sitting on the wooden porch swing. The evening sun shines brightly through the leaves—The warm sun rays flicker softly between branches and leaves as a gentle breeze caresses my skin.

             "Akari?" I take a deep, shaky breath before hitting the video chat button. Not a second later, April and all the others appear on my screen. I can't help but let out a small, strained chuckle. Tears begin to roll down my sun kissed cheeks as I study the others. They all look so happy to see me. "Hi, guys." 🌈 "AKARI!!" The guys call out as tears form in their own eyes. I gently chew on my bottom lip as I look at them all, sorrow and guilt eat away at my stomach. "I miss you guys... So much." "We miss you too!" April sobs into her hand. "I'm sorry for not answering your calls, I just... I didn't really know what to say." "I can't say I'm not upset; But I'm more thrilled to see you're okay." "Yeah... Yeah, I'm okay." 💙 "You look as beautiful as ever, Tenshi." Butterflies swirl around my stomach as I stare at Leo through the screen. There's nothing more I'd like than to teleport through the screen and-

             "Why are you with your old caretaker? Wasn't he a bad guy?" "I- I thought so. Turns out, he was just trying to protect his family." 💜 "What do you mean?" "Shredder threatened to kill his family if he didn't raise me with an "iron fist." Ever since I came back, he's done nothing but train me and take care of me. He's even told me stories about my mother." "That's sweet, but...are you sure you can trust him?" "I get what you were saying, kid." I hum as I look up at Akuma. He smiles warmly as he hands me a hot cup of tea. "It's herbal." I mouth a quick 'thank you' before he retreats back into the house. "What does he mean?" "I may or may not have told him how protective you are." I smile and hum happily at the delicious tea. Akuma always did make the best tea; But it makes sense, considering he has gardens full of natural herbs and spices. I remember helping him take care of the gardens. I think that's the only time we really bonded while I was growing up. "Oh." A small blush covers April's cheeks as she looks away from the camera.

             "Don't worry, April. He's really not a bad guy." "Of course I'm gonna worry. I've been worried this entire time." "I know, I just don't want you to spend all your time worrying I'm in danger or something." 'Sigh.' "Well, I was; Until he decided to answer for you." "Yeah~ I think he was getting annoyed with the constant ringing." "Good! It obviously wasn't affecting you the way it should've." "Are you kidding? Of course it affected me." "She cried every time you guys would call." Akuma practically taunts as he leans against the doorframe. "Sensei~!" He chuckles and walks back into the house. I huff and shake my head but end up laughing anyways. "He's so nosy." "I heard that, kid!" "Good!" I laugh again and continue sipping on my tea. A couple minutes of comfortable silence pass—The only things heard is the rustling of leaves, birds chirping, and the distant sound of a waterfall.