7| ISABELA

Chapter 7

I was clenching and unclenching my hands as I walked to my car in the parking lot. To say I was angry was an understatement. I was furious. I was jealous. And worse of all, I was hurt. I had no clue as to why I felt this way. Why did he effect me so much?

So many questions and thoughts running through my head, but the only thing I can focus on is their date tonight. I let myself get played, this whole time I was certain that he wanted me as much as I wanted him. He let me go down on him and still agreed to go out with Gabriela. Pig. I scoffed in disgust, my face twisted in a scowl. I finally make it to my car and on my way home, a few tears ran down my face but I quickly wiped them off. I will not let myself break down because of a man. Especially one who I didn't mean a single thing to. I have too much pride for that.

My mom, Julia, notices my sullen mood during dinner. My brother, Silas, was too busy watching TikTok's on his tablet to notice my mood which I was thankful for. After dinner, my mom tells my brother to go into the living room and finish his homework, which he does without another word. I can feel my mom staring at me, but I continue scrubbing the dishes pretending not to see her.

"So are you gonna tell me what's going on?" I stop in mid-scrub and turn to look at her.

"Nothing is going on." I considered myself a good liar, but nothing slips past my mother. She places her hands on her hips and cocks her eyebrow giving me the mom eyes that make it harder for me to play it cool. She doesn't say anything and patiently waits. "Argh, fine. It's just boy problems."

"Boy problems?" My mom looked slightly shocked and I thought I saw a hint of hurt too. Here we go. "Since when have you been having boy problems? Why haven't you told me anything? Do you not feel comfortable telling me things?"

"Mom, mom calm down." I sigh and washed a plate, drying it off with a dish towel. "It's not that I didn't feel comfortable, it's...just that I didn't want to bother you with my problems."

"Isa, I'm your mother, you can bother me and rant to me about things whenever. I want you to feel comfortable coming to me whenever you have something on your mind." She waves her hands and makes gestures throughout her little lecture and I chuckle softly.

"I understand mom, it's just," I sigh, "there's a guy in my class who I really liked and I thought he liked me too, but I guess I was just being delusional. He asked another girl on a date this morning." I looked down at my fidgeting hands and sighed. There was no way that I was going to tell her that the "boy" I was pinning for is my professor. No fucking way. She'd kill me. Literally.

"Oh, Isa." My mother hugs me and caresses my hair. "It'll be okay, honey. Fuck him, if he didn't appreciate you from the start then you should forget about him. Look for someone else. It'll hurt for a while, depending on how much you liked him really and then when you meet the right guy, you'll forget all about him."

"Men suck." I pout and my mom chuckles.

She kisses my forehead, "I know. Now go see if your brother needs help, I'll finish up."

"Are you sure?" I disliked doing dishes but if she wanted to finish them, then by all means, yes please.

"Yes, I know you don't like doing them now go." She chuckles and nudges me towards the living room. I walk out of the kitchen into the living room to find my brother watching more TikTok's with his math homework laid out in front of him.

I stop and slowly creep towards him. Silas was completely oblivious to the fact that I was sneaking up behind him, he was laughing to himself from the videos. Once I was right behind the couch, I jump over yelling, "Busted!"