Part 2: Hollow Grail

Illyasviel von Einzbern reached for a glass of water on her bedside table, but she knocked it on the floor and it broke. She had been imprisoned in her bed because of a mysterious sickness, and had gotten increasingly weaker over the past days. Bunches of pillows, blankets on top of blankets, open packages of over-the-counter medicine and used tissues in or by the trash bin, a classic painting of diseased life. Not to mention the stuffy nose and headaches which seemed to persist no matter how many pills she swallowed.

"Damn it." She whispered, straining her eyes to glance down at the mess. The only form of comfort was a CRT TV, manufactured in the late 90's, her maids had rolled into her bedroom for entertainment. The constant screen light caused a dark shadow below her eyes, an empty gaze. Currently, the channel was airing reruns of Ranma ½. The usually amiable rom-com unfortunately felt like a spoon scraping into her skull. She pressed the little green button on the remote and the TV shut off.

She shut her eyes tight. Black haze with indigo spots. A tight squeeze to shut out the real world.

The pain won't let her go.

Snow falls outside her castle, a specter of her German childhood, greeting her at death's edge. A curable malady in doubt, but terminal was the bitter truth. No Grail could live longer, and her life could not stop being longer. Tomorrow had executed every present day of her life, and soon, she will be brought to eternal darkness, with an ill rope tied around her neck. Memories of bittersweet days spent dancing around her brother's expectations in the public park or eating dinner with Sakura and Taiga and complaining about the cooking. It would all be shot to death, by death itself, and leak out into the drain where nobody could ever find it. The end, a hollow grail.

"Gahh! Auugh!" Illya wailed out to escape the nightmare. Her cheeks wet with tears. Her breathing was erratic like sparks from a wire. With her pale hands she gripped the covers and shoved them off of her aching body. A leap to the floor, knees weak, her organs shifted across her tight skin, but her feet kept her anchored to the carpet. She staggered over to the desk. Her fragile body could feel gravity twofold. Her fingers scratched at a drawer just below the surface, finding their way to a diary, which tumbled from her hands onto the desk.

She pulled the pages open. Shaking hand grasped a pen and she scribbled: "IM SORRY I LOVE EVERYONE I LOVE I LOVE YOU SHIROU I LOVE YOU SAKURA I LOVE YOU TAIGA I DONT WANT TO LEAVE I-" And then her mind went blank and she passed out.