Chapter 5

The much anticipated storm had decided to hold off for a few more days. The next week and a half was beautiful, and I continued to take lessons and become more familiar with horses, but still was at the beginning stage.

Today started out beautifully, sunlight streaming through the trees but a delightful chill cooling the air. Gusts of air caught at my sleeves as I stood on the front porch, drinking in the sunrise over the forest horizon. Poseidon told us that rain was expected this afternoon, but until noon, it would be a lovely day.

So of course, with the weather being okay and all, I wanted another lesson. And I walked back into the kitchen, hearing the screen door slam shut behind me as I picked up my argument to the sleepy ebony-haired boy.

"Please!" I asked Percy for the tenth time. I was already in jeans and a t-shirt, breakfast in my stomach and coffee making it's way down my throat as I sat at the table. Next to me, slumped in the stool in joggers and a tee shirt, Percy was eating Honey Nut Cheerios by the pound, trying to ignore me.

"Please," I said again. I reached out, grabbing his arm and shaking it. The shirt he was wearing was, I was sure, a few sizes too small—it definitely hugged his arms tightly.

Stop, stop, stop, I started chanting again, saying those words that now were a regular visitor in my mind.

Percy sighed, but it turned into a yawn. "This was one of the only days I don't have to get up early to do chores. In fact, I don't have to do much all morning."

"All the more reason for a lesson! Then you won't get bored."

"Oh, trust me. I won't get bored."

I raised an eyebrow, one hand on my denim covered hip and the other clutching my coffee mug. My pose was the epitome of obstinacy. "What are you going to do to not get bored?"

"Sleep, woman!" he almost shouted, his tone implying this should've been obvious.

I huffed. "Please, Percy. This will be the last one of the week, I promise. And I'll help you with all your chores next week."

He narrowed his eyes at me skeptically, not watching where his spoon was going and I saw him dump his Cheerios onto lap. He cursed as I snickered.

"Aren't we supposed to get rain today?" he tried, going over to the sink to grab a washcloth.

"No," I said. "Well, not until this afternoon. Please?"

Percy was quiet for a moment longer, then he shook his head in defeat. "Whatever. But you owe me."

I squealed in delight, clapping my hands together. A smile grew on his face as he watched me say, "Hurry and get dressed, I'll get Porkpie ready!"

I rushed out of the house before he could reply, the humidity hitting me like a wall. Porkpie was in his stall, eating hay peacefully, and he seemed to stare longingly at his abandoned snack as I pulled him away.

Quickly I brushed him down and then went into the tack room. Rows of saddles sat still on the wall in ordered lines like soldiers in formation. I grabbed the one I always used, a beat up old amber leather, the pommel wrapped in grey leather cords. I lugged it outside with the bridle hanging off the saddle horn.

As I was latching the last strap, I saw Percy come out into the sun, still stretching. He had switched his sweats for jeans and a blue t-shirt that had a slogan, saying in big bubble letters "Too Sassy For You."

"Nice shirt," I told him with a smirk, petting Porkpie's neck. "It suits you."

He shot me finger guns, saying, "Look at you, getting him all ready without help." He gestured to the large, wide-open paddock. "Let's go."