Family (1738)

The first red sign after knocking on the door was the fact that Kate didn't answer it.

So they ringed. Clint looking around and turning on his heel multiple times wishing a bird would fly by chattering a sweet tunes. It didn't - it was night.

And they ringed again. Laura continuing to twirl her ring around her fingers growing impatient and worried with every passing second.

They ringed again. Oh, come on Kate. You've got to be home. There was no way she'd be somewhere else because there was literally nowhere she could go.

Oh, wow. Now that she thinks about it - there is so much wrong with that - she doesn't even know where to begin.

How could she let a kid alone in a world that only tried to hurt her-

And just as she was about to turn to Clint the door clicked open just enough for a foggy eye to peak from the crack.

"Hey." Laura smiled with a wave staying where she was. Clint's boots stopped moving around too.

"Um... Hi." it was low and sleepy-

And Laura had to physically restrain herself from clenching at her heart from the rasp in Kate's voice.

The kid slowly opened the door coming into view and letting the now visible knife chatter to the ground.

Laura couldn't tell if she knew she let it fall or if she didn't even notice.

Dark bags hung under the archer's eyes as her hair fell in front of her face. The once perfectly cut curtain bangs now six centimetres longer - overly big clothes handing from Kate’s shoulders.

The clothes she wore when she stayed over...

Within a second the golden fleck that was standing in front of the girl perked up and ran over staring to jump and run in circles like the joyful dog he is.

" 'm sorry for the wait." Kate muttered but Laura didn't care. She just took a step towards Kate softly wrapping her arms around the kid's shoulders - tightening the embrace when Kate’s breath hitched.

Since when were the archer's shoulders so bony?

It took Kate two breaths later to slowly slip her arms around Laura - holding her loosely - fingers curling painfully around the soft fabric of Laura's shirt. Her face buried in Laura's neck like the last time she hugged her.

And the archer let go of the embrace clearing her throat - sniffing before she flicked a finger at her nose.

"Um-. Well. Come in." she offered and moved to the side letting Laura and Clint walk in.

There was no word spoken between the two archers - only an exchange of glances.

Kate kept her gaze fixed on the ground only glancing up occasionally - hiding behind her already outgrown hair.

"Sorry for the mess. I just - mh. Don't - Didn't ..." and she continued to mumble something that even she herself couldn't understand.

"Honey the messy house is our last worry." Laura said and the flicker of pain and guilt in Kate's eyes didn't miss her sight.

"Hey. It's going to be ok." she reached out to grab Kate's shoulder but the kid looked to the ground.

"So you know..."

How long did Kate go without talking? Her voice did not have the normally joyful and fun melody to it. Probably because there was nothing joyous and fun about your dead mother.