Chapter Three: Blowing Off Steam

"You took the day off?" Mary sat on John's chair you opposite her, sitting in Sherlock's as he poured over experiments in the kitchen, Mary and you sipping tea and eating the biscuits Mrs. Hudson had brought up.

You nodded, blowing on the tea in an attempt to cool it off. Lost in thought as you watched Sherlock, he seemed so peaceful for the worse person in both of your lives being back. Internally he was freaking out, there was no doubt about it. You noticed all the signs, the subtle handshaking, the barely noticeable stutters, it was evident Reichenbach had its effects.

The fear of losing everyone did that to a person, based on his accounts to you he even thought he would actually have to die if his plan did not succeed. You weren't sure what would happen this time.

It was probably you he was after, as much as you wished it was not the apartments had been a clear-as-day sign. What he had in store was unknown, but he was preparing you, wanting you to be scared, and he was succeeding.

Things would have to change if you and Sherlock were going to win this game. Fewer cases, more carefulness, keeping an eye on those close to you both, and staying near each other. It was relieving that the two of you were already close, heaven knows how stressful it would be if you lived out of the flat as the Watsons did.

"What shops are visiting?" Mary asked, breaking your thoughts. She seemed to pick up that you needed a distraction, even if she didn't know what was going on.

Thinking for a minute, you decided to be in a more lively area, decreasing the chances of anything major happening, "The mall."

"Make sure you bring a weapon," Sherlock grumbled from the kitchen, focused on the microscope in front of him, testing out a droplet of blood for a case he had been hired for.

Mary shot you a questioning look, you motioned for her to wait, walking over a plucking the knife out of the mantle place, "We believe Moriarty is back, and he's coming for both of us," you motioned between you and Sherlock with the blade to signify your point.

"What does he want with you?"

"He's my brother. Yes I know it's a surprise since I'm not a bloody maniac psychopath but unfortunately what I said is true," flipping the knife in your hand you walked over to the corner, handing a dagger to Mary, "We just have to be safe." Mary took the dagger, nodding, a serious look on her face, she knew that somehow she and John would likely get dragged into this. No doubt Moriarty would want everyone to play his games again, especially the Holmes and the Watsons.

You moved to the window, everything seemed to calm out there, you could only pray that he wouldn't start for a while. London needed its consulting detective and it needed his partner.

Scotland Yard needed you, forensics would run behind if you weren't back tomorrow, Anderson did not know how to properly lead the department and slowed down cases. No doubt Lestrade would send himself to his grave if Anderson took over the department once again.

As the window frosted over, your breath formed a circle upon it. The cold air in the flat struck a nerve in you, a sense of determination to go out and risk your life to do your job, to play with your own fate.

Call it a moment of bravery, a boost of adrenaline, you grabbed your coat, motioned for Mary to follow you, and walked hastily down the stairs.

Mary and you traversed the London streets, dodging crowds, passing by cars, and the occasional marveling tourist. The two of you exchanged pleasantries, talking of the evening plans for her and John, and what Rosie had been up to in her new daycare. You informed her of recent cases but got lost going on about the unlikely pairing of Lestrade and Mycroft.

Letting out a laugh at the joke Mary decided to crack, you responded back, "Sherlock still believes they aren't together."

Mary almost on the verge of tears let out a small gasp, adding to the foolishness of the conversation, "Really?"

"He claims that he 'knows his brother better than me'," you made sure to accentuate the last bit, imagining the day Sherlock would truly be proved wrong about his brother and Lestrade dating.

Mary held open the door to the first shop, you offering thanks before you began to look at the thrifted clothes on the racks, wanting some newer pieces since most of your older ones were stained by remnants of cases or experiments put on by Sherlock.

"How long have they been dating?" Mary asked about Lestrade and Mycroft, still the main topic of the conversation.

You shrugged not knowing the exact date only knowing that you started seeing the signs weeks ago, there was no telling how far it went back with how well Mycroft his some things, "Not sure."

Holding up a black blazer with gold buttons accentuated by gold stitches, you turned it to Mary, her offering a nod of approval as you happily put the blazer in your basket.

Eyes scanning the button-up shirts your eyes were caught by a beautiful dark green one, the material smooth silk seeming to melt in your hands. You knew this was the one, if Sherlock ruined it you would kill him, it reminded you of a certain someone.

'Sebastian' your mind thought, shaking your head you scoffed to yourself as you thought of the memories of your old friend, led astray by James and choosing him in the end. It was a shame, you saw a flash on the news a few weeks ago about how he was wanted by the country for helping James.

Your attention was drawn away by Mary, showing you a purple blouse that you happily told her would look dashing on her. The two of you continued your shopping, pleasantries being exchanged and sarcastic comments as you tried to get your mind off of the situation that lurked in the dark. 

AN: Mystrade is my otp frfr