Four

"Here." I placed a paper bag on my lap the moment we got into his car.

"Oh, this is not from the usual place?" I asked when I saw that the wrapper of the siopaos were different from the ones we used to get after late afternoon classes. The logo of the blace was nowhere to be seen and it was placed into a clear container.

"Buckle up."

"No, I'm not going with you."

"Why?" He turned to look at me. "I thought we were having lunch at my place. I already asked Stacey to cook for us."

"Oh, I told you I am not going with you today. I just joined an organization and I had a few things to do." I told him.

"She will be sad that you're not coming. She is expecting you to even come."

"I'm sorry. I—ugh."

I was thinking of the things I could do to make it up to his older sister.

"I'll come by after my work is done. Maybe around five-ish or five-thirty in the afternoon."

"If you're not coming with me then I won't pick you up." He threatened.

"Then don't. I am going to see your sister anyways and not you." I quickly jumped out of his car and took the paper bag. I ran back to the building and into the elevator. I did not turn to glance back at him and just proceed to where I was going.

I peeked through the paper bag and savored the smell of the siopao. They were completely different from the ones we were getting at the nearby convenience store. I grabbed one as I was not able to control my mouth-watering self to feed. I grabbed one and tore them into half. I got the other half and took a bite.

"Whoa." I was speechless. Words could not form in my mouth to describe the taste. It was delicious and was far better than those convenience store ones that we happened to eat. Words could not define the joy these little white buns and savory meat filling on the inside had brought to me. I took another bite.

"I will definitely go see his sister." I told myself. I got into the elevator and just before the doors shut, I peeked through the glass doors. I felt a sad poke in my heart as I saw his car get away. However, I could not blame him. I did not know what he was up to and I did not know what he was going to do.

I went to the second floor where the general assembly of all members of the organization I joined took its place. I settled on the back row of seats at the far corner where a few other students camped. I stood by the corner of the room and listened as the president of the organization talked about the plans she had and the upcoming events that would take place in a couple of months.

Time had passed and I was looking around for familiar faces but there wasn't. Everyone seemed to be accompanied by someone and I was the only one who happened to have self as someone. The meeting ended shortly after a few announcements as calls for volunteers for the upcoming exhibit of the organization.

I hurried my way to the door. It was jam-packed with people who happened to be on their way outside. I bumped into one of the shoulders and told them I was sorry. This time, the man in front of me stopped and my head hit his back that seemed to be like a wall as my forehead was close to cracking.

"I'm sorry. The guy in front of us stopped suddenly." He looked back at me. He leaned his head downwards so he could see my shorter frame. This time, I wasn't the one saying sorry.

The crowd moved on and I was able to find myself with another set of people camping just outside the elevator door. The first batch had just gone in and were on their way out. We could see how the number on the elevator dropped and went back up. But when someone forgot to press the button, the elevator had ignored the floor and went up to the next floor. We all groaned in annoyance.

I gave up and just went to the stairs.

I found myself in the lobby. People with smiles across their faces had already passed by me and through the glassdoor they went. I was trying to get my feet to move towards the door and found a taxi or a bus to Scott's house but my feet seemed to be glued on the floor. I was looking around for faces but there weren't any familiar ones or even ones from my highschool alumnus.

I sighed. It felt like I was waiting for Scott but he would not be able to come. He used to be here when we were at orientation week, waiting for me and I did the same if he had joined more activities than I did. I would be waiting at this exact spot and he would be running on the corridors and hallways towards the lobby and eventually to me after he was done. But now, he has already left.

"Guess we are all alone now." I told myself. "I guess we're not."

"Sasha." I called out.

"Hi." She replied back. She quickly jogged her way towards me.

"Why are you here alone? Where's that boy who hangs around here quite often?" She started questioning the unusual.

"Oh, he has a lot of things to do."

"Oh, okay."

"Are you going home already?"

"Nah, I had errands to make. I gotta go. See you tomorrow."

"See ya."

The thought of having someone to go with quickly faded. I guessed we would all be alone this time.

Couple of minutes had passed and I found myself at the gates of the university. I was waiting for a taxi or something but I stopped my tracks midway when I felt my phone vibrate.

"So you're going home without me." I read the text. It was Scott.

"Where are you?" I replied back. He would always be here.

"Where are you?" He asked back. And I will always be with him.

"Gate." I briefly told him via text.

"I'm coming."

***

Thank you for the support