Chapter 1: A Frenchman in London

Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me,
yet you cannot play upon me.
- Hamlet

London. December 1727.

Jack suspected that no matter what happened in the future, he would always look back at Queen Anne's reign as one of the happiest periods in his life. That was when he and Leonard became amanti-amici. Leonard had coined the Italian term for their relationship when they no longer looked upon each other as brothers but as lovers.

After the death of the queen, they headed for Italy, fulfilling Jack's long-held dream to visit that country. They planned to stay abroad for a few years while the new Hanoverian king George I settled into his new position. They spent most of their time in Florence which was much more tolerant of men like them than most of Europe. They could stroll openly hand in hand, and no one gave them a second look except to admire how handsome Leonard was.

They returned to a prosperous England free of civil strife and quickly settled into a comfortable routine. Jack alternated between playing at court and working on painting commissions. One of the legacies of the daemon Inigo Jones was the establishment of a flourishing architectural school among daemons in England. Many of them were members of Father H's flock. His skill in painting murals was in constant demand, and Leonard easily found work as a musician and dramatist's assistant.

One of their first collaborations was with the daemon John Vanbrugh. The dramatist and architect was known both for building stately homes and for his scandalous comedies. Clubs sprouted up at a rapid pace in London. Vanbrugh got them into the Rose and Crown Club. Popular with artists and art connoisseurs, it was a ready source of commissions.

They'd taken over a floor in the bell tower with Father H's blessing. His only admonition was to keep the noise level to a minimum. They had enough space for their instruments, art supplies, and writing.

His former life in France receded into a distant memory. Freya and Bryn moved to Stockholm in the early years of the century. He and Leonard visited them a few times to maintain the pretense that Freyja was his maker. He often wondered if Philippe was angry about the ruse. His sieur hadn't written him since shortly after the Great Fire in the previous century.

Leonard told him to not attach any importance to the lack of communication. He was convinced it was simply because Philippe didn't have any job for him. Whatever the reason, Jack was content to remain in England where he could help Father H and visit the Normans as often as he wished. Burying his connection to the de Clermonts was safer for everyone concerned. He still thought of the Roydons, especially when he visited the crypt under the bell tower. But they were encased in a golden bubble that he could only visit in his dreams or paintings.

Their old friend Isaac Newton passed away in March. He'd retired from his duties for several years. They both performed at the ceremonial funeral at Westminster Abbey. King George I died a couple of months later.

Jack returned from his latest job—a painting commission in Sussex—in time for Christmas. The Georgian kings believed in lavish Yule festivities. Leonard explained that was the custom in Germany. For all the old monarch's faults—he was nicknamed King Log and often derided as a turnip—Jack wagered the king wasn't so bad. He made many improvements to Hampton Court Palace, including converting the Great Hall into a theater. His son, George II, wasn't particularly interested in the arts but his wife was.

Jack was replacing a string on his viol when he smelled Leonard on the staircase. Seconds later, he raced into the room, a wide grin on his face.

"Guess who John Gay just hired as an assistant!"

"It couldn't be the brilliant wearh standing in front of me?"

"Aye, it could!" Leonard's blue eyes sparkled with excitement. "I knew all those odd jobs would pay off!"