Chapter 5: Unmasked

Paris. November 1742.

Aurora held up her wine glass to Domenico. "As long as you're up ..."

He turned to face her, much more interested in a different vintage. He'd let himself in through an upper window and waited in her bedchamber for her return from the opera. If Richelieu had been with her, he was prepared to portray himself as a rival suitor. The tactic would make Aurora even more desirable in Richelieu's eyes.

But instead, he had her all to himself. They celebrated his news in the best possible way, and even now, hours later, he knew this was only a momentary respite. For they both realized that successful scheming was the best possible aphrodisiac.

They'd initially maneuvered Louise Julie into position. She'd been the king's primary mistress for ten years. Three years ago, her sister Pauline had also seduced her way into the king's bed. Now a third sister, Marie Anne had been invited by the queen herself to court and was rapidly usurping her eldest sister in the king's favor.

Domenico refilled Aurora's glass. He then held it up while sitting between her legs on the bed. "Not another drop till you tell me how you got rid of Marie Anne's suitor. During my last visit, the king's advances were still going unrequited."

She smiled as she leaned forward to draw circles on his chest. "And they still are. Daily the king becomes more smitten. His passions are at a fevered pitch. But Marie Anne's suitor is no longer an issue. You see he's the nephew of Richelieu."

"How convenient!" he snorted.

"Isn't it!" Aurora agreed happily. "First I persuaded Richelieu to dispatch him to fight in the war. When the nephew had the misfortune to only be wounded and then compounded the duke's frustrations by returning in glory, sterner measures were called for. Richelieu paid for a woman to seduce him. She then sent the infatuated nephew's letters to Marie Anne. You can imagine her fury."

Domenico nodded thoughtfully. "Now it's only a matter of time." Marie Anne understood how to play the game, and she was much more interested in politics than her elder sister. For some unknown reason, Gerbert wanted France to go to war, and Marie Anne would encourage the king to listen to his nobles who were also thirsting for conquests. Once Cardinal Fleury passed, the brakes would be off.

Aurora made sure the people were aware of the king's scandalous behavior by discreetly spreading rumors and innuendos. The queen was already beloved both for her charitable acts as well as for her resigned acceptance of a king who couldn't resist chasing skirts. Outrage over the monarch's behavior was higher than ever before.

"I assume Gerbert is tolerant of the people's growing dislike of the king and the sisters," Domenico prompted.

"It's more than that," she confided. "He rejoices in it. When the second sister died in childbirth and the people mutilated her corpse, calling her a whore, his mood was almost gleeful."

"Do you know why?" Domenico asked, inwardly sickened by Gerbert's attitude.

She shook her head. "No, he hasn't disclosed his objective. It's as if he wants to bring down the monarchy."

Aurora could be right, and it wouldn't be the first time. How many doges had Gerbert toppled? Did Gerbert now have his eyes on the House of Orléans? That's the way Domenico would play it.

She placed her hands on his shoulders and pulled him down on top of her. "Enough of talking about others. It's far too seldom I have you to myself."

"I didn't know if you'd still be interested in me," he teased. "Not after bedding Richelieu for all these years."

She made a face. "Don't remind me. The duke is witty and charming. He has a keen grasp of manipulating others, but my passion I reserve for you, caro mio."