Chapter 4: Sept-Tours

Auvergne, France. November 1742.

Jack's relationship to the de Clermonts was a puzzle to Leonard.

Surely it wasn't just because Matthew and Diana Roydon had adopted him for a brief period when he was a small child. But Father Hubbard was insistent that Jack's connection to the pair needed to be concealed. Leonard had tried to imagine a possible motive. Conceivably, Matthew could have committed a crime during his time at the Hart and Crown. After all, he spied for Queen Elizabeth. Perhaps Jack witnessed him assassinate someone and now he had to conceal his knowledge of the crime.

That could explain Philippe's concern when Jack was first reborn. But Diana Roydon must be long dead by now. Any actions Matthew took during the time of Elizabeth were well over a hundred years in the past. Why would the sieur of one of the most powerful wearh families in the world be interested in what Jack did?

Philippe could value Jack's potential as a spy. That's probably why he didn't kill Jack during their first encounter. Leonard still had the occasional nightmare about how he and Bryn had rushed to Jack's defense in Whitehall. It was the only time Leonard had been in Philippe's presence, and once was enough. The smell of Jack's blood had stung his nose. No matter how hard Jack tried to blame his own clumsiness for the wound, Leonard was convinced Philippe had caused it. Father H's anger was all the confirmation he needed that the count had fed off Jack. If he was so concerned about Jack's precious secrets, why hadn't he gone ahead and killed him on the spot?

But Jack never spoke of the incident again, and Leonard didn't press.

When Philippe summoned Jack to France, Leonard was surprised, but he attributed it to Philippe's desire to use him as a spy once again. It was a great opportunity for Jack to expand his horizons. How could Leonard object?

But ever since Freyja agreed to maintain the ruse that Jack was her son, Leonard was convinced that something was rotten in the state of Denmark. Jack never offered much of an explanation. Leonard's best guess was that it was because of some internal squabble between the d'Aurillacs and the de Clermonts. In any case, as long he and Jack stayed in England, he was content to let the two houses have at each other. Whatever happened wouldn't affect their lives in England.

Then another de Clermont interjected herself in Jack's life. Was Ysabeau embroiled in her mate's machinations as well?

Once Ysabeau left, Leonard thought that would be the end of it. He pushed Jack to return to England, using his desire to return to the Scriblerus Club as an excuse. The fact Emilie no longer needed them as tutors made it an easy decision.

Now here they were—heading straight into the lion's den. Philippe undoubtedly had an ulterior motive in inviting them. Despite Pierre's assurance to the contrary, Leonard feared that Philippe had decided Jack was too much of a risk. Maybe he wanted to kill them both off. Leonard liked Freyja but he was wary of her father. Who wouldn't be skittish around such a powerful predator?

Pierre wasn't much of a help during the journey. He acted as if any mention of Philippe was forbidden. So, instead of learning more about the de Clermonts, Leonard and Jack entertained him with anecdotes about their time with Emilie.

When they rounded a bend in the road and saw the fortress of Sept-Tours looming in front of them, Jack gawked at it like it was Camelot rising from the mists of time. The medieval chateau was much more ancient than most of the great manors in England and France. The towers appeared Norman in construction. Pierre murmured that the de Clermonts had lived there for over twelve hundred years with the present fortress constructed in the twelfth century.

The surrounding hills were a mixture of vineyards and woodlands. That meant good hunting and good wine ... if Philippe let them live long enough to enjoy it.