I've got your back •Mary Earps•

Y/N POV

Soaring through the air. Extending my arm and fingers as much as my body would allow; with the slightest touch of my finger, I was able to push the ball off of its course, sending it over the bar. Everything went in slow motion until my body collided with the floor. I could hear the crowd cheering - I had kept a clean sheet for every game I had played for Reading F.C.

Kelly Chambers ( our manager) had been rotating myself and Grace Moloney for our games, but I had managed to prevent any balls from passing the goal line whilst I was playing and it was something I had prided myself on, being a young keeper.

I had began training with the Reading senior women's team when I was 16; now two years on, I was developing and learning skills like there was no tomorrow.

Once the final whistle had blew, indicating a 1-0 win for us. I jumped in the air, celebrating my success, despite the opposing team making multiple shots on target. With that, myself and the rest of the team congregated towards the changing room, laughing and giggling in glee at the win. That was until Kelly walked in, and hushed us, ready to make an announcement.

"Right ladies, First of all, I just want to say well done and congratulations on the win! Y/N you're a little superstar" As she said this, the team began to cheer and clap for me and although I was appreciative, I hated the attention. I simply smiled and shrink back into my cubby, waiting for her to continue. "But, what you were all unaware of, was that Sarina Weigman, the England women's coach and some of the England scouts were in the crowd. With the way you girls played today, I have no doubt in my mind that some of you will be called up to join the lionesses." We all just giggled and gasped at the new information, as some of us had only dreamed of playing for our country, but some of us doubted that we would be chosen.

But two weeks later, a call had come through. An unknown caller ID flashed on my phone as I was sitting at my dinner table, eating lunch. I don't usually answer unknown numbers, but somethings in the back of my mind was telling me to.

"Hello?"

"Hello is this Y/n y/ln?"

"Hi, yes, can I ask who's speaking?"

"It's Sarina, the Lionesses head coach. I'm just calling up to tell you that, the way you played two weeks ago, was brilliant; I can see some real potential in the way you play and I would like to give you the opportunity to come and train with the lionesses during the European tournament and possibly get your first cap for the England national team. Is that something you'd be interested in?"

"Oh my goodness, yes I would love to! Thank you so much for the opportunity!"

"You're more than welcome dear, I will send some of the information over to your email, and you will receive further information when you arrive at St George's park. I look forward to working with you Y/n"

In no time, I had been introduced to the team, given my England attire, and had been given a room mate - someone I had looked up to since the beginning of my interest in the sport. Before long, I was waking up, getting ready for my first training with the GK union.

"Right kiddo, you ready for your first lionesses training" Mary's voice knocked me out of my trance. I'm was too busy being inside me own head to realize she had gotten ready to head down the pitches. Throughout breakfast and pre-act I had been completely zoned out, worrying about if I was good enough to be here"