[1] Lassitude

[❝I can't eat and I can't sleep. I'm not doing well in being a functional human being, you know?❞]

────────── ⋅❉⋅ ──────────

Naruto has always felt the necessity to care, give, and love.

Perhaps, it's because there was no one to give him these things when he was younger. He doesn't like to think about that.

He's always been this way. Made sure Iruka, Kakashi, Tsunade, and Jiraiya were alright. Helping with everything that he could. When he made friends, the urge grew, until he became the group's unofficial "therapist friend." He was always there ready to help everyone, and people often joked that there were a hundred of him.

He'd been feeling a little blue for the past couple of days. Not that it mattered, of course, his problems were nothing compared to others.

When Sasuke felt like he wasn't good enough. Naruto was there to make his favorite food, hug and kiss him and say, "You're perfect Sasuke. You're handsome, smart, caring, cool, snarky, and an excellent boyfriend. Fuck what your father says." Sasuke would look at him and call him ridiculous but would then promptly proceed to kiss him senseless. Sasuke never would stop beaming for the next few days when Naruto was like this; always by his side, or on his lap, hugging him constantly.

When Ino felt insecure about her body, Naruto was there to tell her that she looked beautiful and that he wished he was as beautiful as her. "You're gorgeous Ino, Fuck, if I wasn't dating Sasuke I would have snatched you up in a heartbeat." Naruto would take her out shopping. He even got Sai to man up and ask her out.

When Shikamaru was feeling shut out from the world. Naruto would cloud-watch with him, listen to Shikamaru's theories, and praise him. "You're brilliant Shika, Merlin, I wish I was as intelligent as you. The world's lucky your a nice guy or you'd take it by a storm before they even knew what happened." He would make Shikamaru's favorite coffee and he and Shika would spend the night talking about strategies.

When Kiba was anguished and frustrated with another bitch of a girlfriend. Naruto was there to make him smile again and go to the candy shop with him, just to cheer him up. "You're amazing Kiba. You're funny and handsome. It's not your fault that she couldn't see how great you are. Your tattoos are great, don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

When Gaara felt worthless, his mind traveled back to nights full of broken bones and hearts. Despite Gaara's many protests, Naruto was there to hug him and would lull him to sleep. Naruto would clean up his room, play Gaara's favorite movie, and both of them would stay up together, talking about their past.

So, Naruto should really pull himself together. He didn't have the right or the time to be sad. Not when there were so many people that needed his help. So many people needed a hug or a friendly word. Naruto has been alone since he was a fucking toddler. He should be able to deal with this. He should be able to smile, laugh, and act confident. A fake smile, after all, is often given with good intentions, just as a mask is sometimes worn not to hide but to protect.

He should be able to do all that.

But he can't.

It's been a long day. Naruto's exhausted. His skin feels just a little too tight and not right for his body. It itches something fierce. A battle that tears from the soft tissue inside the body and demolishes the skin on the outside. Sometimes fire may scorch the grounds and ice will shatter the surface.