Chapter 5

You slowly stepped down into Bill's armoury cellar. The three of you carefully looked around and you saw Bill lightening up a candle. He told you to 'gear up' and Ellie quickly walked over to the guns in determination. "Uh-uh." Joel stopped her by grabbing her arm. "What? I need a gun!" Ellie huffed and looked over at you. "Y/n."

"No you don't." You answer her, agreeing with Joel. "I can handle myself." Ellie exclaimed in annoyance but Joel couldn't agree less. "No just...stay here with y/n." The smuggler demanded and walked over to Bill who was testing his guns. "I'll just wait for you three to get me killed!" The girl yelled out and walked away with you.

"How come you always disagree with him but once it involves me you don't?" Ellie murmured and crossed her arms, walking over to a shelf full of magazines. She started to rummage through them and your eyes smiled in amusement at her attempt to argue. "I won't argue with you on this El."

The little girl across from you kept silence and turned her back towards you. You looked over at Joel and Bill and walked a little closer. Fortunately you could hear them now.

"This goes on records as the worst fucking job you've ever taken." Bill exclaimed while cleaning his gun. "It's up there." The smuggler breathed out and you crossed your arms. Very charming. "How in the hell is Tess okay with this suicide mission?" The man with shoulder length hair asked whilst walking past Joel.

"It's actually her idea." Joel told him, leaning back against the table. "Really? Well then the broad's not as smart as I thought she was. But...fuck her." Bill breathed out and grabbed a bucket from the floor.

"Seriously, you gotta take them back to where ya found them." Bill exclaimed and Joel turned around to look at him. "Bill...I can't just take them back." The smuggler answered and a relieved breath left your mouth. "Then send them back packing, let them find their own way."

Your eyes widened in shock at his cruel words. "Look, let me tell you a story. Once upon a time I had somebody that I cared about. It was a partner. Somebody, I had to look after. And in this world that sort of shit is good for one thing. Gettin' ya killed." Bill explained, taking a gun from one of his shelves.

"So, you know what I did? I wisened the fuck up. And I realised it's just gotta be me." He ended his part and Joel looked over at you for a quick second. You immediately peered away, hoping that he hadn't caught you listening. "Bill. It...ain't like that's. It's..-"

"Bullshit. It is just like that." Bill repeated and stopped talking. He looked over at Ellie and his blood boiled. "Hey!" He yelled out and you glanced back at him and then at Ellie. "What did I say to you when we walked down the steps? What did I say?" Bill questioned with annoyance.

"I'm just fixing your stupid pile." Ellie huffed and let go of his magazines. "Don't touch! Get your kid under control!" He instructed, not even giving you any time to response. You watched Ellie as she struck her middle finger at him and you couldn't help but smile. That kid was a lot like you in your teens.

"Goddammit." The man with shoulder length hair complained. "You keep babysitting long enough and eventually it's gonna blow up in your face." He told Joel which seemed to bother him. He pushed himself away from the table and stared at him. "Bill. Can we please just get on with it?"

They both stayed silence for a few seconds and Bill threw a gun over at him. "Here." He exclaimed. "Let's get on with it." Joel nodded at him and Bill handed him another gun. "Bring your girl one as well."

You expected Joel to clear things up but he just walked over to you and handed you the gun. "Thanks." You mumbled and took the gun, slinging it over your shoulder. "You alright?" He asked you and his eyes wandered down to your old injured arm. "I'm fine. Let's just get this over with." You told him and walked past him with Ellie following behind.