The moon in her eyes

Princess AU
——————

I stare up into the moon from my perch on my balcony.

"Princess, it's getting late. Would you like to change?" The old maid asked from behind me.

"10 more minutes." I hesitantly answered. "Close the door behind you, please."

"Yes princess."

Even though my back was turned to her I knew she bowed before closing the balcony doors and walking deeper into my room.

"Colby." I murmured under my breath.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath through my nose. The tears started to swell up behind my eyelids.

"My princess-" His voice shocked me, making my eye shoot open. "I'm sorry I'm late."

I turned around to look at the boy I had been waiting for.

"What took you so long?"

He quickly stepped out of the darkness and into the moon light once he heard my crackly voice. He took a few steps towards me and placed his hand on my cheek. No matter how much I wanted to be upset; I just laid my face into his hand.

"My father almost caught me sneaking out earlier, I had to play it off as using the bathroom. There was not a moment when I did not wish to be within your presence... my princess."

I melted within his touch as he placed his free hand on my waist.

"Why must we continue to sneak around? I just want to be with you" I placed my hand on his cheek.

Colby sighed and closed his eyes, thinking for a moment.

"You know why."

"But it is stupid! Why should anyone care that your dad is a shoemaker? I don't care!" I placed my free hand on his chest and bunched some of the fabric in my hand. "We love each other, that's all that should matter."

He pulled me into his chest, wrapping both of his hands around my back.

"I agree." He sighed. "But we also know your parents would never be okay with that."

Tears fell from my eyes, rolling down my cheeks as I held onto him lightly.

"What if..." I whispered. "We ran away together?"

He tightened his grip around me, placing his chin on top of my head.

"I would love nothing more, but I can't leave my parents." He calmly said.

More tears poured down my cheeks as quiet sobs left my lips. I knew his heart was too big, too loving to leave everyone, everything behind. But I couldn't help the thought pass by.

"Colby..." I mumbled into his white shirt.

"I'm sorry my love." He quickly apologized.

I pushed myself away from his chest gently. I looked up into his blue teary eyes.

"No, don't apologize." I lifted my right hand and wiped the tears from his cheeks. "You have done no wrong." I placed my hand on his cheek as my eyes trailed down to his chest. "My father. He wants me to marry, he already has someone in mind."

"Oh." Colby whispered softly.

"But I will not go through it." I looked into his eyes. "But... I myself have to run away from this place. There will be no other choice for me. I can't marry someone who's only care is wealth and power."

Colby looked down at me with soft eyes, his eyebrows furrowed slightly.

"I must come with you then." He blurted out.

"No." I shook my head quickly. "You need to take care of your parents Colby. I shouldn't have even asked you before. I know you can't leave them behind."

I placed my left and on his other cheek, rubbing them gently with my thumbs.

"Your place is in the village, taking care of your family. But me..." I looked to the left towards the open palace garden. "I cannot continue my duties here. I must not continue."

"But Y/n." My name rolled off of his tongue like a sweet pastry. I turned to face him as he continued. "You must not go alone."

"My love, if my parent's guards find you gone too... they'll execute your family without a second thought. You and I both know that for a fact. You must stay here and protect your family from mine." I closed my eyes to try and prevent the tears from flowing down my cheeks. "Maybe... Maybe it would be safest to marry the man my father chooses. If I leave who knows how many villagers will parish."

"No!" Colby grabbed my shoulders, pulling my attention to him again. "You must leave this place; you deserve to be happy. Not to be burdened with all of this hardship."

"Colby there is no easy decision." I cried softly. "If I leave people will die, if I stay, I know I will surely lose myself."

"What if..." Colby began. "What if we faked our deaths?"

I tilted my head up immediately to look at him, he was staring off into the distance.

"But your family Colby." I shook my head side to side. "They'll be devastated."

"I know." He looked up at the moon, I followed his gaze. "But you are my everything, I cannot lose you." His eyes slipping back down to my face. I continued to look up at the moon, the beautiful full moon too beautiful to look away. "I can see the moon in your eyes my love, I will follow you until the end."

I turned to his handsome face, his eyes twinkling in the moon light. "I will follow you until the end." I repeated. "I just wish... it didn't have to come to this."

"Neither do I my princess, but it is the hand we have been delt. We'll get through this."