Surprise!

Warning: swearing

I tapped my right foot against the concrete impatiently. In my left had I held the handle to my suitcase. I stared to the left down the street where the entrance to the airport was. My Uber would be here any second. I smiled to myself as I thought about how excited Colby will be. I talked to Sam for over a week planning this out. Sam wanted to pick me up from the airport but I insisted he distract Colby for me.

My foot stopped tapping abruptly once I saw the red Honda CRV drive down the street towards me. I held my arm up and waved the Uber down. The older man pulled up right in front of me, unlocking the doors before I got close.

"Y/n?" He asked as soon as I opened the door to his car.

"Yup." I smiled at him.

I picked up my luggage and gently placed it into the backseat. I stepped into the car, shutting the door and putting my seat belt on. He put the car into drive and began making his way out of the crowded airport.

"Where are you coming from?" He politely asked me.

"Kansas." I smiled up at the man in the rear view mirror. His grey hair hanging over his forehead.

"Quite a long way from home!" He chuckled. "What brings you to LA?"

"I'm surprising my boyfriend." I excitedly explained. "It's our 5 year anniversary tomorrow and we haven't seen each other in over a year. He's been really busy with work and I've been really busy with college."

He nodded his head as I spoke. "What are you going to college for?"

"I'm planning on being a Marine Biologist."

"Now isn't that a cool job!"

We chatted back and forth for the 30 minute drive.

"Thank you so much." I thanked the man before opening the car door.

"Of course, have fun in LA."

I pulled my suitcase out behind me and shut the car door. I waved to him as he drove away.

"Well that must be the only nice Uber driver in LA." I chuckled to myself.

I turned around to face the white apartment buildings. I pulled out my phone and texted Sam "aloha". It may seem weird but I didn't want Colby to accidentally look at Sam's phone and spoil the surprise so I came up with a code word for when I got to the apartment. "Aloha!" Sam replied almost instantly. I tucked my phone into my back pocket of my jeans and grabbed the handle to my luggage. I pulled the rolling luggage up the walkway with a huge smile plastered on my lips.

As I pressed the elevator button my heart started to race out of excitement. I stepped onto the elevator once the doors opened and pressed '7'. My heart beat only increased as I passed each level. I bit my bottom lip harshly as the elevator door opened. I wanted to be quiet and not let Colby hear even a peep out of me. I wanted so badly to just run to his door and knock on his door frantically until he opened it. But I took a deep breath through my nose and out my mouth to settle my nerves as I stepped off of the elevator. The soft sound of the luggage wheels rolling on the carpeted floor filled the echoey hallway.

I stood in front of 708, my palms already sweating up a storm. I closed my eyes and took another deep breath through my nose. I pressed my lips together to try and suppress my toothy smile, but it was no use. I held my right hand up and knocked on the door. I tapped my foot anxiously against the door mat.

"I think it's the pizza!" I heard Sam's voice call out in the apartment. "Can you grab it?"

"Sure!" Colby's voice floated into my ears like a sweet melody.

I let go of my luggage handle as the door began to open. My smile grew wider as Colby came into view.

"Surprise!" I yelled out with joy, shooting my arms above my head.

Colby's jaw dropped as his eyes widened. Without anymore hesitation he quickly stepped out and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me off of the ground. I wrapped my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck as he squeezed me tightly.

"I can't believe you're here!" Colby's voice cracked.

"Oh baby." Tears began to weld in my eyes. "I've missed you so fucking much!"

Colby held onto me tightly as if he thought I'd disappear if he let go. He pressed short sweet kisses against my neck as he swayed.

"Oh that isn't pizza." I could hear the smile in Sam's voice as he spoke behind Colby.

"You bitch." Colby teased Sam. "You knew she was coming!"

He let me down, turning his head to Sam with a large grin on his face.

"Of course brother! Gotta help my boy see his girl for their anniversary."

Colby turned his head back to me and quickly pressed his soft lips to mine. My heart pounded in my chest as I felt his lips again. As we pulled away we opened our eyes in sync.

"How long are you staying?" Colby blurted out.

"A week." I smiled brightly.

Colby pulled me close to his chest, his sweet cologne filling my senses.

"It's going to be the best week ever!"