Chapter 2 ~Zayden~

~ZAYDEN~

•~ONE MONTH EARLIER~•

"I'm hungry," Fletcher said, pausing our game of Call of Duty. I looked at him, and smiled. Mocking him, I responded.
"Oh, is poor Fletchie hungry?" I teased. Opening my wallet, I tossed him $30. "Here, go get Chinese."
He laughed and grabbed his jacket. "Alright, man, see ya later."
He grabbed his keys and left the room. Sighing, I thought about how lucky I was to have a good roommate.
I unpaused the game, my thumbs moving over the joysticks and pressing the buttons instinctively. I'd played this game a billion times, so I knew how to play pretty well.
My phone rang, and I paused the game. Looking at my phone, I saw it was Hazel. An uncontrollable smile plastered itself onto my face as I answered the phone.
"I love you," I said, before she could say anything. She giggled and responded, saying, "Then why don't you tell me in person?"
"Sure, babe, come on over," I told her.
She giggled again. "Too late." And I heard a knock on my door. Hanging up my phone and tossing it on the couch, I ran to the door. Swinging it open, I grabbed Hazel's hand and pulled her inside. I pulled her into me, placing my hands on her waist, and pressed my lips against hers. Her lips were soft, and our lips fit together like two hands intertwined. Her eyes fluttered closed, her eyelashes brushed against my eyelids. The taste of strawberry lip gloss tickled my tastebuds as I pulled her in closer. She put her hands on my back and inched them up to my hair. She tangled her fingers into my hair. Happiness filled me as I felt as close to her as I'd ever been.
I didn't want to break away from the kiss, but when I did, she had a smile on her face. She looked at me, her breaths heavy, my heart beating out of my chest, and I looked into her eyes. We stood there, looking into each others eyes, for what seemed like an eternity. I got lost in those beautiful green eyes all the time. A stand of her beautiful, long brown hair fell on her face and I pushed it away and tucked it behind her ear.
"I love you," I say. "Satisfied?"
"Hell, yeah," she said, placing a quick peck on my lips before running to the couch and leaping on it. She grabbed an Xbox controller.
"I'll beat you!" She said, giddy.
I laughed sarcastically. "In your dreams, baby." I sat down next to her and unpause the game. Within twenty seconds, I killed Hazel's character.
"Lucky shot! Bet you can't do it again!" I laughed and lean in for another kiss. Pressing my lips against hers, I closed my eyes, and after a couple of seconds, I noticed hers are open.
"Shit!" I yelled. One Call of Duty gunshot sealed the deal.
"Ha! Got you!" She smirked at me.
"That's so cheap!" I said to her.
I heard a knock at my door.
"You expecting somebody?" Hazel asked. "Like another girl?" She joked.
I laughed. "It's probably just Fletcher. He just forgot his keys or something."
I walked to the door and open it. But when I did, no one was there. Puzzled, I looked down the hallway, and seeing no one, I closed the door.
"There's no one there," I told Hazel. "Probably just a ding-dong-ditch." Just as I was about to sit back down on the couch, I heard another knock at my door.
I groaned and stood up, opening the door again, but no one was there.
"It's probably just Fletcher playing a joke on us." I stood at the door, ready to intercept him the next time he knocked.
Right as his knuckles hit the door, I swung the door open. Looking down the hallway, I saw a man, wearing a blue shirt, sprinting down the hall.
"Hazel, I'll be right back," I said, chasing after Fletcher. I ran, laughing.
"I'm gonna get you, Fletch!" I yelled, sprinting faster. He turned the corner, and sprinted down the stairs.
Shit. I couldn't catch up.
Another laugh escaped my lips as I dashed down the stairs and followed him outside our apartment building.
But when I pushed the door open, no one was there. Standing there in confusion, I looked to my left and right, wondering how he disappeared.
But a realization came over me.
Fletcher wasn't wearing blue, like the guy running in the hallway. He was wearing red.
That's when I felt the rag on my face and started
to get
sleepy.