Prey

The Alvarian Skywing Kingdom was usually a place of life, bursting with vibrant dragons who spent their days conversing and enjoying life. The mood of the kingdom had completely shifted recently, and couldn't quite figure out why.

Moa, like most of the other dragons in the kingdom, was a full-blooded Skywing. She was a rather ordinary individual, not a monarch, but a commoner who usually spent her days scrap-scrolling and doodling. She had a few friends, thankfully, and was loved by her family. Although she did have a few scuffles with her aunt about her sexuality.

But other than that, she lived a dull life.

That was until every Skywing in the kingdom went on the fritz. Skywings started to shut down left and right, claiming that something was wrong or that something was out to get them. The whole situation was unnerving.

Moa was currently trying to figure out why. Why are they acting so skittish? Did something happen? A horrific rumor perhaps?

She now spent most of her time asking around the kingdom as if she was a great detective or some sort of reporter. Still, no matter how many questions she asked, she never came any closer to her goal.

Most of the dragons she questioned would either shrug or become increasingly nervous. The most information she ever got out of a dragon was an older Skywing who lived in a rather small cave outside of the largest part of the kingdom.

"I'm not sure," A Skywing, Moa thought his name was Canary, told her, "I heard that something big was on the loose."

"Something big?" She pried.

"That's all I know, dragonet," And with that statement, he flew off, leaving Moa to sit and stumble over the small amount of information she actually had. The Skywing threw in the towel for the rest of the day, deciding that sticking to herself and focusing on her own health was more important for the time being.

But still, even as she settled in her home, her brain wriggled nervously. What could be causing an entire kingdom of fierce dragons to fret in such a peculiar way? Every dragon around her was either as skittish as a pigeon or as confused and melancholy as a snail.

Moa tried to calm her nerves by finding her own explanation. Maybe a dragon got spooked by something completely natural and over exaggerated the story. And perhaps that story started to spread like wildfire across the kingdom.

Yes, that made sense, right?

What else could it be?

The Skywings of Alvar weren't an easily frightened bunch of dragons but somehow something or someone had turned their whole species upside down. Why would fully grown dragons act like this? And why wasn't it affecting everyone?

The thought ate at her until the sun started to set.

That night, Moa stuck to herself in her home, shifting through scrolls and tapping on her stone floor. She tried her best to keep her mind off of the strange mystery that continued to pry at her.

It certainly didn't help that she lived alone now.

Alone, aha.

Perhaps spending time with other Skywings, Skywings that she actually knew, would help ease her nerves. She reclined in the thought, spreading her sore wings across the floor.

And with the thought of her friend in mind, Moa was able to finally rest for the night.

☾✩☽