Meeting the Golden Guard

I sigh as I listen to Luz rant about Azura and how the last book was flawed but still a masterpiece. "Luz, I love you, but when will you stop relating everything to Azura?" I ask sarcastically. "Very funny, y/n. I think you know I will never." Luz replies, smirking at me. "Since you got me sucked into your horrible fandom, I guess I can comment on how Azura was SO bland in that book." King states. "How dare you!" Luz gasps dramatically. "I think Azura was at her BEST in that one!" She nods her head, agreeing with herself. I laugh and facepalm as I rethink why I listen to them rant for so long. Then, I see a tall figure in the distance with a gold owl mask and a white cloak. It catches my eye and I can't seem to look away. "Luz, look! Who's that?" I tug on her short sleeve, not wanting to avert my gaze from the mysterious person I suddenly care so much about. "Ugh, that's just the Golden Guard." Luz says, rolling her eyes. I tilt my head slightly and raise an eyebrow. "He's a jerk. He almost got Eda and I killed, plus he kidnapped King!" She complains, making grand gestures with her arms. I notice a shadow that's blocking the sun from shining down on Luz from the stairs we're sitting on. I slowly look up and see the golden guard looking down at us. "Talking about me?" He asks smugly.

"Uhh..." I mumble, my face turning red. "Go away, Golden Guard." Luz says. "Well, I don't really know about that, humans. The emperor told me to keep an eye on her. He already knows about you, Luz, he's just interested in her. What's your name?" The golden guard states rather harshly. I take a deep breath and calmly say, "I'm y/n. Y/n L/n." I say, more confident. That confidence slowly drifts away as I feel him staring at me. Without saying a single word, Luz stands up, and drags me away. King follow quickly behind. Luz brings me all the way to a grassy area where she sighs, and smiles at me. "Sorry about that. He's just kind of irritating, and I'm still mad about the whole kidnapping King and almost killing us thing." Luz says, catching her breath. I see the golden guard appear out of thin air with red particles. "OH MY GOD!" Luz shouts out of frustration and I think because she was startled by the sudden appearance of the golden guard. "You can go, human. I jus wanna talk to hear, like I said before." He says calmly. Luz shakes her head, sits down and mumbles something under her breath. "So, y/n, now that I know your name, I wonder what you like to do?" He says, like he's trying to start a conversation. "Shouldn't you tell me your name, too?" I ask. "Uh-I'm.not allowed to tell you that." He says bluntly. I nod and look to the side awkwardly. "Well, to answer your question before, I like music, and I spend most of my time reading, drawing, listening to music, or hanging out with Luz and my friends." I say, trying to not make it awkward anymore. "Oh! Um, that's nice? I wish I had that kind of free time." He says. I smile, nod, and laugh nervously. "Why did the emperor tell you to look after me?" I ask curiously. "I mean, I'm not that interesting. Not to mention, I'm a human. I feel that I would be the least of his worries." I say, confused. "Well, uh, he doesn't know you, and he's just interested, so, here I am." He replies with jazz hands. I laugh at his silly gesture and Luz groans. "Okay, are you done now? Can we please go???" Luz groans impatiently. "Actually, I do have one more thing to ask you." He says in a serious tone. I nod my head as if to say 'go ahead.'
"Are you currently studying any of the tracks?" He asks. I release my tense muscles and giggle slightly. I thought that it would be scary, or really really serious or something. "Yeah! I study Bard and Beast Keeping at Hexside!" I reply enthusiastically. He nods. "Well, that's it for today. I gotta go now. Byeeeeee!!" He gets on his staff and waves. Then he disappears, leaving behind a few red particles like the ones before. "Well, that was weird." I turn to Luz. "And I'm surprised you stayed so quiet." I comment. "Belos is probably after as much information as he can get. I don't know what he's gonna use it for, but I know it's bad! She crosses her arms and furrows her brows. She picks up King and places him in her bag. She stands up and sighs. "C'mon, y/n! Forget about him and let's go talk to Willow and Gus!" She smiles. I stand up and follow Luz. I'll just try to forget about this morning. It should be easy, right?

850 words
October 17th, 2022.