Cruelty

A/n: There will be two paths later on in the book. After the book splits which will happen around the Mugen train arc maybe after. The yandere path will be marked with a 🔪 while a regular path will be marked with a 🌸

A young boy, Tanjiro, carries his sister, Nezuko, on his back through the snow. Nezuko is bleeding from a wound on her head. 

Tanjiro: How...? How did this happen? "Nezuko, don't die! Don't die on me! I'm gonna save you no matter what! I won't let you die! I swear your big brother will save you no matter what!"

~A small cabin in the mountains~

In the morning. Tanjiro takes up a basket of charcoal on his back and is preparing to leave the house. 

Kie: "Tanjiro? Your face is covered in soot. Come over here." 

Kie comes out of the house and wipes Tanjiro's face with a towel. 

Kie: "It's dangerous with all this snow. You don't have to go, you know." 

Tanjiro: "Well, I want everyone to eat their fill on New Year's, so I'm gonna sell as much charcoal as I can." 

Kie: "Thank you." 

Shigeru: "Big Bro!" 

Tanjiro: "Hmm?" 

Tanjiro's younger brother and sister, Shigeru and Hanako, come running to Tanjiro. Another brother, Takeo comes out from behind them. 

Shigeru: "You're going to town again today?" 

Hanako: "I'm going with you!" 

Kie: "Oh no, you're not. You know you can't walk fast like Tanjiro." 

Shigeru: "Mom!" 

Kie: "You may not. Since he can't use the cart today, he won't be able to give you a ride when you're tired." 

Shigeru: "Big Bro!" 

Shigeru runs to Tanjiro and clings onto him. 

Hanako: "I wanna go with you! I promise I'll help you!" 

Tanjiro pats Hanako's head. 

Tanjiro: "Thanks, Hanako. But you're staying home today." 

Hanako: "What~?" 

Tanjiro: "You too, Shigeru. But I'll get you tons of goodies, okay?" 

Shigeru: "Really?" 

Tanjiro: "Yeah. And Hanako, I'll read for you when I'm back." 

Hanako: "Yeah!" 

Tanjiro: "That's a good girl." 

Kie: "Thank you so much, Tanjiro." 

Tanjiro: "Sure. Okay, I'll be heading out now. Takeo, will you chop as much wood as you can?" 

Takeo: "Sure, I'll do it, but... I was hoping we could do it together." 

Tanjiro walks over to Takeo and pats his head. 

Tanjiro: "There, there." 

Takeo jumps away from Tanjiro's hand. 

Takeo: "What's with that all of a sudden?" 

Shigeru: "You're blushing, Take!" 

Y/n: "Aw~! Someone's embarrassed." 

Takeo: "Hey, shut up!" 

Tanjiro: "There, there." 

Tanjiro continues patting Takeo's head, and Takeo jumps away again.