First Flight

"Beautiful huh?" a familiar voice said.

I was startled for a second, until I realized it was Devon, pumping his strong wings on the other side of the open window.

In one second, he pumped back, then shot forwards, closing his glimmering wings, shooting through the window, and gracefully landing on the birch floor.

"Where were you?" I teased.

"I have some things that I have to explain to you. But I'll wait until we're at the café. Now c'mon let's head out," he calmly explained.

"And here," he cut two holes in my shirt and I pushed my wings through.

He started for the window, but I interrupted him.

"Um, I can't fly yet," I said.

"Don't worry, grab on," he said.

When I grabbed on, I wanted to explain that we were five stories high, and I don't think he could hold me. But I shut up and closed my eyes tightly.

But then he gave me a convincing smile, and it felt like I could hear him say, "Kansas you'll be fine, your already dead."

Then, without a warning, he climbed out the window and jumped off the roof.

-------

I was amazed at the sights of everything as it whipped past my face. The cardinals and buildings were now just a blur. We passed a few people and I waved to each one. They smiled and waved back.

We soon got to the Lilly Café.