Chapter 8: Everybody in

Minutes before...

His life had changed. Dramatically. Now, every morning he took his time to actually enjoy his coffee. Before, weeks could go by without him talking with his wife in the morning, since he would leave in a rush for work. His mornings usually included early workouts on his own or with Luca or a buddy, catch coffee somewhere and get home to shower for work. He would occasionally say bye to her, if she was awake. If not, he would make his coffee and take it to go.

But...not anymore! He, Victor, certainly learned his lesson, and so did the love of his life. His view of life changed dramatically, as he now truly appreciated every little moment with her. Now he and Bonnie didn't waste a single second; now they understood what being grateful truly meant.

On this Monday morning, his head was spinning. The conversation with his wife over a nice hot breakfast was enriching, so his head was filled with ideas. They had discussed a really good idea, however, he knew deep down in his heart, he felt guilty. As much as he was grateful that Chris saved his life, he felt horrible that it costs her an injury to her leg. The fact that he was able to go to work, because doctors cleared him at least for desk duty and non field related tasks, while Chris stayed at home with a cast on her leg, was killing him. It was just...unfair! She risked her life to save his. He had to do something!

"Hey Chris!" he said cheerfully over the phone.

"Morning, Tan!" she responded, as he parked in his spot at HQ.

"Morning, how's the leg doing?" he asked for what seemed to be the 100th time. He called and texted more than 10 times over the weekend!

"Doing good. Stop worrying. I'm fine!" she said, he assumed probably rolling her eyes. He knew her all too well: she was going to play it tough all the way.

"Got a sec?" he asked, turning off the engine and settling in the seat.

"Sure. What's up?" she asked curiously.

Meanwhile...

"Alright, buddy. We made a deal, ok?" Street said, starting the car.

Topo was delivered to his new school, where Rubio and Jim met Mrs. Galloway. She was one of the instructors in charge of training the smaller puppies, divided into the groups A, B and C. The heavier puppies were in the 2A, 2B and 2C groups. The instructors were lively, cheerful and above all, very welcoming. The small establishment was very clean and colorful, with no cages and everything neatly identified. Rubio was overly excited about everything! He was so excited he started to believe the day was going to be good after all! 

The young man buckled up as he continued to stare at the puppy school, wondering why his school wasn't as cool as his dog's. He wasn't looking forward for his day, but at least he had something to look forward to after it. He really hoped Topo had fun for both of them!

"Yeah, pops!" he said dryly, as they drove off the lot.

"Not a word about this to Uncle Luca or any of the guys. Got it?" Street said desperately.

Rubio giggled at the thought of the guys making fun of his pops in his workplace. It was kind of tough picturing Tío Deacon teasing him, but he would pay big bucks to hear Tío Tan or Tío Cosa for sure! (tío = uncle, in Spanish)

"Pops, relax!" he said sternly. He had other things in mind, for sure!

They continued their drive to school, which was now just under 15 miles away. Street took a turn and stumbled upon some traffic, just before getting off the highway.

"So...first day. You excited?"

"I wanna see how Topo do after school." he said excited.

"Ok, but...you'll have fun in your school too."