Chapter 1 (New Arrivals)

He sat there, underneath the shade of the tree in a hot summer dusk. The mysterious man was out of breath. His golden wings moved to help shade the light of the sun from his eyes. The tan angel brushed his messy short dark brown hair out of his eyes. He sat there, weary from his extraneous venture. He knew the kingdom gaur would be over the hill in just a moment. Until that moment he sat under that tree longing for water. Sweat dripped from his long eyelashes onto his golden and silver armor. Armor which was forged in the deepest volcanoes of Vulcahs. As he expected, two royal guards came to investigate the source of the loud crash and rumble from this area. They saw the man with golden wings sitting underneath the tree, covered in dirt and sweat. They looked at a pile of disturbed dirt from a crash and made their own conclusion. He tried to speak but all that came out from his dry throat was "W.. Water." One of the guards took out a water skin and handed it to the man while the other tried to figure out what he wanted. "Who are you?" The guard asked. Followed by, "M.. my name is Jacen Garlaen i traveled here from the westlands to deliver a message to your queen." From the man, now identified as Jacen. "The Westlands? That's a long way from where you are now, boy." "Though I may not look it, I am older than thee, 237 years of age." Jacen explained as he stood up and walked down the hill which led to the large gates of Harlfen. Harlfen was a kingdom of Twilight High elves, though they had human guards. Harlfen earned the nickname 'Kingdom of Green' for a good reason. There wasn't a place you could not look and not see trees, vines or other plants. "Why should you be let within the gates of our kingdom? Do you have anything convincing perhaps?" The second guard who gave him the water skin asked. "Tell your queen this exact message: The son of Galdrein wishes to speak with you." Ordered the tall, winged man.

He was within the walls of the castle almost immediately. Jacen knelt for the elvish queen and her only daughter. He did not like kneeling. He stood up and met her gaze. She had light hair for a Twilight High elf, it was almost blonde. Much unlike her daughter who sat beside her who had very dark almost black brown hair. They were both quite pale, as were most Twilight elves. The queen, Raeleyn was 670 years of age but she looked like she was merely in her midlife if she were to be human. Her daughter, Maereyla, was the same age as Jacen. "Your mother, Galdrein, Goddess of ores, valuables and the earth, is she not?" The queen spoke with grace but filled with wisdom of her many years. "Yes. I am her knight and her servant." Jacen answered. He tried to meet her gaze but could only look in awe of the beauty of the pale princess, Maereyla. He blinked twice and went back to speaking about the matters at hand.

"She has sent me here, all the way from the westlands to deliver a warning to you. We have come to believe that the armies of the bent realm have come to our realm and are planning an attack. This is bigger than us, this is bigger than your kingdom. We have reason to believe you are only the first. They wish to remove the most powerful pieces on the board and then launch their attack on the middle lands and eventually, take the realm." There was silence in the dimly lit throne room. The queen pondered what was just spoken. "This must be quite urgent if the gods were to get involved." Jacen simply nodded. "We do not know when the attack will arrive. It could be weeks, months.. But we do know it will occur." He explained, which greatly disheartened the queen.

"If it could occur in millenia, why tell me now and with such urgency?" She inquired. "My mother often does not tell me everything. I do not know. I suspect perhaps to prepare you for when the event eventually ensues." He told her, which answered her question enough.

Once again he met the gaze of Maereyla and this time she was gazing back. "I wish I was here in better circumstances but alas I am not." Jacen said. "Leave us,'' the queen said. "We must speak over a feast."

He stepped outside to see the sunny sky had become grey yet without rain, which often happened in twilight kingdoms. In times when the sky was darkened the kingdom would light up with strip light lamps, every lamp that hung on the rope held 5 fireflies. He stood at the top of the stairs which lead up to the castle, looking upon the massive kingdom of Harlfen. He wondered what kind of evil could desecrate such a beautiful land. The large waterfall which filled their great lake caught the wind and mist blew onto the civilians of Harlfen and all Jacen could hear was cheering and laughter. He smiled, which he hadn't done in a while. He heard high heels walking towards him on the blackstone stair. He did not have to look as he knew who it was already.