Chapter II, The escape

Maereyla awoke first, with tears in her eyes. All she could do was watch as her people were slaughtered. The smoke from the burning kingdom filled her saddened eyes. If someone were to speak about the past beauty of the kingdom and look at its state now they would never believe you. The armies of the bent realm rounded up all the citizens. The ones with weapons were slaughtered when the army first entered Harlfen. They were no match for monsters like these. Maereyla cried as the citizens were rounded up and slaughtered.

"What is your name?" a dark elf spoke to a rather strong villager. The villager spat on the corrupt commander. "It matters not to you!" He shouted in protest. "We are all simple sheep to be slaughtered."

"You're right." Said the grey skinned elf, who had long black hair. The commander lifted up the man by his neck with ease. The dark elves' eyes shun red. Suddenly there was a grey and red blast which seemed to drain the color everywhere. A red magic entered the man through his chest, killing him and turning him into a slave for their army. With that, the color returned. The man stood robotically waiting for an order. The commander pointed and the now undead man walked away into the army. All Maereyla could do was watch in terror while the dark elf expanded the army of the bent realm while killing the ones he deemed weak. "We need to escape." ordered Jacen, who awoke when the dark elf converted and killed an innocent man. Maereyla was so shocked at the past hour's events that she didn't even speak. "I cannot fly us out," He explained with a hint of disheartment. "I damaged my wing when we crashed into the wall." He continued. Jacen grabbed the pale princesses hand and they snuck to the very large ruins of the castle. Jacen did not know it then but him grabbing her hand and helping her helped her through the grief and trauma a lot. She needed a friend.

She explained. "But there's beasts swarming everywhere. How do you expect us to sneak through?" Jacen

Asked. "You will sneak around and remove the guards around the secret tunnel. After that you will come back to me and I will create a large enough distraction to escape. We will hope the distraction will be enough for my people to escape." She ordered. He could tell she was holding back tears. After all she had everything taken from her in a matter of moments. He nodded and put his hand on her shoulder. She looked into his eyes and it distracted her from the screams and the fire for a moment. "It's going to be okay." He assured the heart broken woman before running off.

Jacen ducked behind a burning house. He snuck behind a guard and unsheathed his dagger quietly. He put his hand over the orc's mouth and slit his throat. Jacen laid the orc down as he tried to scream until only gurgles came out. He moved forward as quietly as he had ever been. He stepped on a twig and it made a cracking noise. A guard turned and saw Jacen. The goblin was about to yell something when an arrow planted itself in his head. With that Jacen gained new courage, knowing Maereyla was watching over him. He ran to the right down an old road. He was right behind where they were slaughtering the people of Harlfen. He took a golden feather out of his right wing and aimed it right at the dark elf commander's neck. Jacen was positioned right behind the commander. He aimed it and held it in place. The only thing he wanted to do at that moment was throw it and kill that horrid thing. Thing, because he gave up his own soul for power. He was no living creature now. Only a mere thing, a husk of what once was. Everything Jacen stood for told him to throw it and kill that evil being. He knew he would put the plan in jeopardy but at the same time it could help the villagers escape. Though it pained him greatly he turned away and dropped the golden feather. He continued doing what he was previously doing before, clearing a path. He went down the steep road and turned left again, he saw a guard which he didn't expect and so he jumped onto the roof of a non burning house. Jacen dropped down on the left side of the house so he was behind the guard. By now unsheathing his dagger would make too much noise so he stood up and put his armored hands on the soldier's head, snapping his neck with a crack. The soldier's armor fell onto his and it made a loud crash. For a second the screaming stopped, all the monsters and soldiers stopped. He heard murmuring and saw shadows coming towards his area. "The winged one!" A soldier yelled, "He's here, trying to escape." Jacen cursed and stealthy ran to where that soldier was and stabbed him in the neck 3 times to stop him from saying more. He (with even more caution) Retraced his steps. Back up the steep hill, turning right and going up again slowly until he made it back to Maereyla.