Chapter III, A long journey

Maereyla woke up. She noticed that Jacen must have woken up at some point and moved them away from the river into some hay. Though he didn't change the fact they were still laying together. She slowly slipped away and stood up. She walked over to where she placed her bow and went hunting for food. The forest was a lot brighter with the daylight. She wondered what was left of her kingdom but dared not to return. She didn't cross the river but instead went behind their camp to be safe. She sat down in the bushes with a single arrow. A Waroc crossed her path and she got excited, a good meal. But then she realised it most likely had escaped from her kingdom's barn and into the forest. She didn't shoot. Instead she shot at a falcon which flew fast at her. The arrow settled itself into the predatory bird's chest and it fell to the floor. She dragged its body and gutted it. She then skinned it and removed the pieces they could actually cook. She threw it on the fire but it cooked quickly being directly on the fire it cooked quickly. Though Jacen would have protested if he were awake she cut it in half and saved a piece for him.

Jacen woke up to the smell of cooked food. He got up and shared a meal with her. "Thank you." He said. "We need to eat, do we not?" She chuckled. "I have a question." Maereyla told him. "Go ahead." He insisted.

"If you always lost to Vladre and defeated him only once, how were you able to defeat him twice with ease and all those soldiers?" She wondered. "My life did not stop after I lost my kingdom. All I knew was my training so I continued it. I traveled to the farthest corners of Valdurr and trained with gods and warriors much better than myself until I was better than them. It took many years. 3 decades to be exact." He explained. "What do you suppose we do next?" She asked him. "We must travel to Landred and warn them of the coming war and then to Sandurne then to Kelldrie." He told her. "How far is Landred?" Jacen asked. He knew she would mostly likely know from her royal practicings and reading. "Hmmm. around 6 hours." She replied rather quickly. He looked at the sky and where the sun was and concluded what time it was, "5 am, we need to leave in 30 minutes." Summer time, it would be a long sweaty walk. "Besides Vladre, did you have any other friends in your life?" Maereyla asked.

"I did, he lives in Sandurne. He is a Runeling, short fellow. His name is Rendeir. His other friends call him Ren. He is an odd man." Jacen explained. Maereyla just liked asking him questions to hear him talk. "Where were you living after the destruction of your kingdom?" She asked as she put out the fire. "With him. Until a few years ago my mother found a shard of Darkfire, which led her on this path which leads us here." He explained. He sighed and thought for a second as he looked at the princess. Her beauty was immeasurable. "When I was younger, I never wanted to rule my kingdom.. Did you?" Jacen asked her. She sighed too. "When I was a child I did not, hence the secret tunnel. But later in my life I realised I had a duty to my people, eventually I got to know my people more and actually was honored to one day be their queen." She explained. Guilt punched Jacen in the gut like a troll. He felt it was all his fault because he failed, his plan failed. He filled up a water skin that was big enough to last both of them the day if they rationed. "But I can understand what you are telling me, you came from a different culture and way than I, it was more or less forced upon thee." She tried to reason. "It's okay, I have moved on."

As they walked on a path that allowed the sunlight through. It felt good, like a nice stroll through the garden. "Do you have a woman waiting for you, wherever you live?" Maereyla had to look up at him, as she only stood at 5'6. They walked side by side and Jacen just kept looking forward. "I do not." He snickered, "Through all my training I never really had time for romance. But that does not mean I can't see the beauty of romance." He spoke. She nodded. Maereyla didn't want to admit it but she was catching feelings. He was a charming man. "Where did you get your bow?" Jacen wondered. "It was a gift from my mother for my 16th birthday. I have used it for many years. It was crafted by Wood Elves of The Kordrin, a small kingdom of Wood elf blacksmiths and crafters. It is infused with magic, they say." She explained to him, rather quickly as she had explained to many before. "What kind of magic?" He asked, trying to make conversation. "We have yet to find out." She sighed. There was silence for a few minutes after. Their hands brushed and almost intertwined a few times but alas nothing happened.