8. Lavonia

"I can't believe you would do such a thing!" screamed Elis. Michael stood at the window. He looked out at the rough slope, down to the black trees whose leaves had started to turn green. His mother and father had received a letter from the Seeker. It told of his companies' failure to kill Alexandra. "She's your sister Michael," cried Elis. "She's your blood!"

Michael didn't say anything. He was only disappointed in the mercenaries his father hired. Now Alexandra was free, possibly with a partner, coming home to destroy him.

"Your father is outraged you used his name," said Elis. "He'll talk to you alone. He's been very busy lately. Decrees don't write themselves! A King has great responsibilities... great motives..." Michael looked up. He saw that his mother was bawling. "Oh Michael," she cried. "What has happened!? Krosna's been in that little room since winter! Her only sun is the light through the window! No one has seen her since. She's probably turned into a goblin by now! The poor girl... And now you try to kill Alexandra! What has happened to this family!?"

Elis ran off, tears pouring onto the floor where she walked. Michael, seeing that she had left, sighed with relief. "Good riddance!" He said in a breath. He loved his mother. It was only the shame of failure that made him speak these words. He wished he'd gone to Gold Coast to kill Alexandra himself. At least he would've succeeded. Alexandra wasn't a fighter, at least from what he knew. As brawny as she acted, her hands were better for manicures than combat. She was a Princess. It was this Princess, who he feared. "Women are vile creatures," he said. He remembered Anna once saying: "Women are born with honor." It was a sunny day in the courtyard, when a small Michael caught Alexandra playing pirates with Babastian. Babastian had fought real wars, where to defeat your opponent was the only way to save yourself. Even Babastian, who was very skilled with the wooden sword, was tossed back by Alexandra's blows. It was not fake. Alexandra was granted the gift. The art of the sword was in her blood. "Girls are snakes," said Michael, pouting. "Look at Alexandra– she's going to be an assassin when she grows up! All they do is stab nobles in the back. You know an old woman killed an Emir's son up north. A roof tile to the temple. I bet she was an assassin!"

"But that man was too proud," said Anna. "Everybody hated him!"

"Well... whatever he did... the old woman was an assassin."

Alexandra, half the size of Babastian, went straight for his wrist. The stick was knocked out of his hand. Alexandra pointed the stick to his throat. "I got you now, filthy pirate!"

Babastian reached his backhand around the sword, knocking the stick out of her hand. He came in to tickle her. "Agh!" she cried laughing. "Stop it!"

Anna chuckled. "I think Alexandra will grow up with honor," she said. "She'll be the greatest knight... or better, the greatest Samurai. Babastian told me Samurai kill themselves when defiling their honor."

"No man would do that!" objected little Michael.

"No man without honor," smiled Anna. "Men these days only care about fighting death. But men like the Samurai know those who try to beat death are the real cowards." It was then, as fun entertained the courtyard, a gray sky blanketed the castle.

Malaikat stepped toward his son, casting a shadow as Michael, out of his memory, looked out the window into the courtyard. Michael couldn't tell if he was angry. A veil of darkness hid his father's face. He knew behind the shadow was the face of a King. "Michael," said Malaikat, with great resonance. "I want Alexandra home."

"But she's a traitor!" exclaimed Michael. "Why greet her with open arms?"

"I need her here, Michael," said Malaikat. "Her presence is vital to my plans."