24. Loyalty

Ned was pouring over the book that Lord Aryn had been looking at of the houses in the succession of the families when he came across the Baratheon chart

Black of hair

Black of hair

Black of hair

Steffon Baratheon Black of hair.

Robert Baratheon Black of hair.

Stannis Baratheon Black of hair.

Renly Baratheon Black of hair.

Joffrey Baratheon golden hair.

He flipped the book closed. Bastard. He jumped in his seat when he felt Maelia's breath on his neck.

"Put a bell on you." Ned said and Maelia could hear his racing heart.

"Sorry... what did you find?"

"What got Lord Jon Aryn killed."

"What are you thinking?'

"I'm thinking you and the girls need to leave now." Ned told her and Maelia rested her chin on his shoulder wrapping her arms around him.

"What did I say about you dying without me?" Maelia countered kissing his cheek.

+

'You are in pain.' Cersei noted coming up to ned and Maelia in the gardens.

'I have had worse your grace.' Ned informed her.

'You are dismissed.' Cersei said to Maelia but Maelia kept a hold of Ned's arm.

"Am I?" Maelia questioned. "I'm fine right where I am..." Maelia informed her and it was like a lion against a wolf, Ned expected claws to come out, fangs retract and bloodshed. He didn't know whos gaze was more deadly. But then he saw the golden flicker in Maelia's eyes. Deadly.

"It's alright.' Ned whispered. "Can you make sure the girls.... Check on them?" Ned offered.

"Fine." Maelia agreed letting him go begrudgingly.

'Perhaps it's time to go home the south does not seem to agree with you.' Cersei said calmly her eyes veering away from Maelia but her jaw was still clenched.

'I know the truth.' Ned told her 'the truth Lord Arryn died for.'

'Do you Lord stark? Is that why you called me here... to pose for riddles?' cersei questioned with a laugh.

'Has he done this before?' Ned asked pointing to his cheek a bruise forming on Cersei's own cheek.

'Jaime would've killed him if he had. My brother is worth 1000 of your friend.' Cersei snapped.

'Your brother? Or your lover?' Ned offered

'Targaryen's wed brothers and sisters for thousands of years to keep the bloodline pure.' Cersei reminded him 'Jaime and I am more than brother and sister we share the womb came into this world together we belong together.'

'My son saw you with him....'

'Do you love your children?'

'With all my heart.'

'No more than I love mine.' cersei told him

'And they are all Jamie's.' ned remarked

'And thank the gods in the rare event that Robert leaves his whores long enough to stumble drunkenly into my bed I finish him off in other ways. In the morning he does not remember.' Cersei said casually.