Part two: If Not Us, Then Who?

Chapter 2: Dazed and confused

"Oh, Auburn... What happened?" Peril sat still in shock. She wanted to claw herself. How did I not notice? Auburn gulped.

"It— it was an IceWing. He said that if I told anyone, he'd claw my stomach open. He s-said that he'd rip off my wings and—and feed me to sh-sharks." Peril's head was spinning. She felt awful for her friend. Auburn is only 5...

"I swear, if anyone tries to hurt you I will personally hang them from a glacier and feed their limbs to a pack of dragon bite vipers one at a time. Let's take you to Sunny, ok?" Auburn mananged a small smile, then ducked her head and followed Peril to Sunny's office. "Sunny?" Peril knocked on the cave wall so as not to set the door on fire, then called out again to the little golden dragon. "Sunny? Auburn needs some help." Sunny emerged from her office, beaming at her students.

"Hi Peril! Hi Auburn! what do you need?" Then she noticed that Auburn was crying. "Oh dear... are you hurt? Come into my office and tell me what's wrong."

——————————————————————————————

Chapter 3: Ruined

After some explaining, Sunny sat down, shocked. "Oh, no... It's going to be okay, Auburn. Nobody is going to hurt you, I promise." But Auburn didn't sigh with relief, didn't show any sign of her situation having changed. She only cried harder, and said,

"You don't understand... I can't return to my family now. My Bigwings was s-so mean. That's why I came here. But Toad will never let me come back now. He hates me! Plus, I need to take care of my dragonets... Even if I didn't want this, i'll still love them." Sunny smiled at her pityingly.

"It's okay, Auburn. You're always welcome here." Auburn nodded and hugged Sunny.

"Thank you." She looked up at Peril, hopeful. "Will you guys help me?" Peril nodded.

"Of course, Auburn. Why wouldn't we? I mean, if not us, then who?"