-8-

Those of us who sin...

...sin sweetly.

"Are you trying to turn me off?"

It was a simple, bullheaded question any healthy libido-wielding Homosapien would fire at his or her 'fuck buddy' when said 'fuck buddy' decided to outright accuse their significant other of committing sexual suicide.

Obviously, she was full of shit.

But instead of voicing this with the potency and outrage it called for, the question slurred meekly off my tongue like thickened cough syrup, heavily dosed in apprehension.

Uncertainty.

...Fear.

Hoards of unwanted emotions screamed to the highest of heavens within the jagged roller coaster of my heart yet my fear was the loudest.

"Because if you are, it's working..." I added coherently under my breath, instantly scrambling off her mattress.

"I'm not trying to do anything..." Irene stated lowly, her olive eyes practically singeing into my skin as she watched me anxiously fidget to straighten my crinkled clothing. "I'm just repeating what I heard..."

She's totally fucking with me.

She has to be.

Right?

I mean—I wouldn't cock block myself.

Right?

It was the only plausible explanation.

It's her fault.

Right?

Right.

This is her fault.

"Well you 'heard' wrong," I snarkily clarified while putting my back to her seemingly judgmental stare, angrily bee-lining over to where my shoes and uniform blazer laid.

The swelling tension whirlwinding around us expanded throughout the atmosphere, silently willing me to reface her.

But how could I?

Those very same fucking gem-studded eyes that usually drove me crazily obsessed now had me reeling in vulnerability.

I couldn't look at her.

I didn't want to.

"You're leaving...?" She asked hushingly soft from her spot on the mattress, shattering the strained silence between us to fragments.

It wasn't until she spoke it into existence that I actually realized I was in the process of bustling on out her bedroom door, backpack in tow, flustered and shaken.

Call it a hunch—

—A knot in gut feeling.

Instinct.

Whichever.

Something inside me desperately urged for me to run like hell.

And I had no idea why.

But I for damn sure wasn't going to stick around and let Irene figure it out for herself.

"My mood is blown," I poorly excused while reaching for the doorknob, my back still facing her. "And if we're not going to fuck, there isn't any point in me staying. I mean, that's the only reason why I'm here in the first place so it doesn't really matter if I lea—"