A2O-3

“What time is your entrance test tomorrow?” Ni-ki curiously asked once he saw Jungwon coming out of the bathroom.

“Why?”

Ni-ki shrugged. “Can I come? At least until the gate...”

Jungwon glanced at him suspiciously, but only nodded. “Sure, if you don't have anything to do. I'll leave by seven.”

Ni-ki didn't say anything further as he continued munching on a snack.

Actually, Ni-ki just heard his soulmate's thoughts. Apparently, his soulmate didn't get enough points to be an eligible participant of the survival show. His soulmate seemed really dejected to the point that the narcissistic thoughts became very pessimistic. He also heard that his soulmate will take his entrance test tomorrow.

Ni-ki hoped he could see his soulmate tomorrow. He wanted to cheer him up, low-key. Ni-ki still hates him for his very inconsiderate late night thoughts, but he also hates the pessimistic thoughts he's been hearing on repeat.

“What if I fail college too?”

“I'm already a failure, what else is there to be scared about?”

“If I fail college, I'd just ask for money on the street. I'd be shameless...”

“But why do I feel like I'll fail being a beggar too?”

‘No beggar would be as irresistibly cute as you...’

Ni-ki tries to control his emotion and get his focus back on the drama playing on his phone. If he could just hear Ni-ki's thoughts.

The sole purpose of soulmates is so people wouldn't feel like they're alone. There will always be a person who can hear their inner voice, someone who they can share their worries with. The telepathy somehow can block personal information though, like names and exact addresses, magically. As if it was operated by high-end technology developers.

“I don't know anymore; I'm not really motivated to do anything.”

+++

Sunoo's nervousness intensifies when Jay's car stopped in front of the university gate across the street.

“Good luck on your test,” Jay cheered him up.

Sunoo only replied with a timid smile before he hopped off the car, not forgetting to thank his friend. He then crossed the street, walking towards the gate.

He looked back to see Jay waving at him before the older boy drove away. Sunoo heaved a sigh, feeling a lot more unmotivated than earlier.

“I didn't even remember what's written in the reviewer book.”

“Hey!”

Sunoo turned to face the gate again, walking slowly towards the entrance.

“Hey!”

“Are they calling me? Should I look back?”

“But what if—”

“What—” Sunoo covered his lips, looking back at whoever touched his shoulder.

It was a familiar, taller stranger that he cannot remember where in the world he has seen.

“What?” Sunoo asked.

The taller stranger handed him a piece of lollipop, which is as big as his fist. Sunoo unconsciously accepted it, staring at the treat with big, wide eyes.