getting closer

~ Soobin ~

Soobin stretched and yawned. After a whole week of brutal training for the Competition, he had the best sleep that night. Weekends really were the best.

He glanced over the clock. It was ten in the morning and he should have gotten up before but who cares.

He yawned again and got out of his bed. He glanced over to the other side of the room, where Mirae used to sleep but found it empty.

Soobin walked out and headed to the kitchen but he wasn't there either.

"Mirae?" He called out but nobody answer. Panic kicked him. If anything happened to Mirae, he would never be able to forgive himself. "MIRAE?!"

He ran around the house to look for her. He was about to check the bathroom and found it locked. "Mirae! Are you in the bathroom? Mirae!"

"Shut up!"

Soobin let out a deep breath of relief and almost sank down to the floor. "I have been calling you out! You could have at least told me."

"Go away!"

He smiled and nodded. He went away to the kitchen and started preparing for breakfast.

Minutes passed by and Soobin started worrying again. Mirae still hadn't came out of the bathroom. But he shrugged it off.

"Mirae! Come out already! Breakfast's ready!" He screamed from the kitchen.

After a while, Mirae faced him. She looked worn out and tired.

"Are you okay?" He asked worriedly.

"Brother..." She started with a sigh. "You've been a good brother. But I think I am going to die."

Soobin frowned and blinked. "What are you talking about?"

"I think I am sick. And not just any sickness but it's chronic. I am in pain and bleeding and I can't stop it. I am going to die. You don't have to worry about hospital bills. Just live-"

"Mirae."

"Just continue to live-"

"Mirae, you are not dying."

"How do you know that?" Her voice cracked. "I am bleeding."

"You got your first period?" Soobin asked. He had told her about it two years ago when she was ten. She was traumatized by that talk and was convinced that she would die when she hit puberty.

"Y-yes!" Now she was crying. "I don't want to grow up! No!" She was crying and screaming. She ran straight to the room, covering her face and slammed the door shut.

Soobin followed her and knocked.

"IF YOU CAME IN, I'LL KILL YOU!" Mirae screamed.

"Oh dear," Soobin flinched. "Don't cry now! I'll go out and get you some... pads."

Mirae didn't answer and continued cursing her unfortunate life.

Soobin let out a sigh. He always knew he had to do this. So, as a good brother, he stepped out to get his sister the pads.

A person can only appreciate his morality and thoughtfulness because when he actually got there... he was the one who was in panic and confusion. Where there different pads for different age groups? Was there any particular size he should get or any size was okay? And even if he did get it... how were the pads actually put on? It wasn't like Mirae knew that already.

He could have Googled it, like he always does when he has questions which he has nobody to ask to. But sometimes fate is just extremely funny...

"Soobin!" Someone called his name while he was staring at the bundle of different pad brands. He turned his head and saw Yurim smiling at him. "What brings you here?"