Chapter 2: Replica

NAPUNO ang social hall ng lahat ng mga kilalang estudyante't faculty member ng Lincoln Academy. Ang imbitado lang ay ang mga miyembro ng student leaders para sa oath taking, organization members, mga Education major students, at ang mga propesor.

Si Stella ay star athlete mismo ng eskuwelahan at representative ng Lincoln Hounds kaya't obligado siyang dumalo. Ang nobyo naman ay kapitan ng varsity team kaya't isa rin sa mga kailangan na magpakita sa party.

But the most important person to show up in the ball was none other than the president of the academy himself. He was invited to come over and to give a speech for all the guests.

Inilibot ni Stella ang tingin sa kabuuang loob ng social hall bago napangiti. Ang lahat ng inaasahan niyang mga dadalo ay naroon na. Ilang minuto na lamang ay magsisimula na ang programa kaya't saka lamang siya huminga nang maluwag bago kinuha ang wine glass sa lamesa't sumimsim ng alak.

The music was wild and the lights were funky. Some were having conversations and a few were already dancing. She was sitting alone in the big round table as she waited while her boyfriend talked to his buddies at the center of the red carpet like they own the place.

She was getting bored. She was never really friendly after her mother died. She was distant to people, but she still communicate when necessary. It was only Noah who was being persistent to her that she already gave up. But she did like him even it was embarrassing to admit. She felt comfortable and free to express her real self to him. But she could not own all his time because unlike her, he had a social life.

"What a delightful evening, everyone!" Everyone turned to the stage as the host, Rhea Magistrado, a student from BSE 3C greeted through the microphone. "Welcome Department of Educators' Victory Party!"

Everyone screamed in excitement as the guests started going back to their seats and so was Noah. They were all placed according to what organization they belong as they gave a round of applause.

"To formally start our program, let us all stand up as we bow our heads and feel the presence of the lord. May I also call in Ms. Abigale Resuena, the Student Supreme Council president to lead the prayer."

Everyone obeyed as they participated on the prayer and the singing of the national anthem before the reminders were given. After all that, the speeches were up next, and the first one to give it was the President of Lincoln Academy, Dr. Leon Sendico.

Hindi inalis ni Stella ang titig sa presidente. Marami na itong nasabi sa entablado ngunit ni isang salita ay wala siyang narinig. Hindi iyon dahil sa hindi gumagana ang mga speaker, talagang wala na siyang marinig pa dahil biglang may sumingit na alaala sa kanyang isipan.

Biglang um-ere ang isang karumaldumal na balita sa maliit na telebisyon. Nakaupo lamang ang batang si Stella sa isang mahabang upuan gawa sa pinakinis na kawayan, nakatulala sa babaeng reporter na pakiramdam niya ay seryosong nakatitig din sa kaniya.

Nakalipas na ang ilang linggo ay hindi pa rin maituro ng mga pulis kung sino ang mga sangkot sa pagkamatay ng inang si Alana Estrella, ang babaeng natagpuang patay sa ilalim ng tulay ng baranggay San Juan. Ayon sa huling ulat ng imbestigasyon, ang natagpuang singsing sa kamay ng bangkay ay pag-aari ng presidente ng Lincoln Academy na si Dr. Leon Sendico. Ngunit ang paliwanag ng presidente ay ninakaw umano ito sa opisina niya, bago nangyari ang pagpatay.

Nag-umapaw ang galit ni Stella habang pinapanood ang balita habang ipinapakita ang recorded clip ng isang magarang opisina. Sira nga ang sliding cabinet ng lamesa nito't magulo ang buong lugar. Nagmukha ngang nilooban ang silid at ayon pa sa interview sa sekretarya, ninakaw din ang ilang gadgets at pera na itinago roon.

Malakas ang kutob ni Stella na may mali sa anggulo ng kuwento at impormasyon na ipinalabas ng balita. Nakita ang bangkay ng ina niyang hubo't hubad, maraming pasa, sugat, at wasak ang ulo't pagkababae. Nakita sa nakasarang kamay ng ina niya ang isang malaking gintong singsing at ayon sa balita, mariin itong pinanggigilan na para bang ayaw itong pakawalan dahil masyadong bakat ang hugis ng singsing sa palad ni Alana.

Marami mang maniwala sa mga ulat doon ay hindi nila mabibilog ang utak niya. Kailangan niya lamang patunayan iyon at handa siyang gawin ang lahat, lumabas lamang ang katotohanan. Hindi siya naniniwalang inosente ito. Sa isip ni Stella ay bakit sa kabila ng lahat ng tinamong pananakit ng ina ay hindi man lang nito binitiwan ang singsing? Wala itong hilig sa magarang bagay kaya't siguradong wala itong interes doon. Kilala niya ang kanyang ina at sapat na ang sariling pagtataka para masabi niyang may mali sa imbestigasyon.

"He's walking towards us." She was startled by Noah's sudden whisper. She then realized that the speech was over and the president was already walking towards their table with his eyes focused on her.

She watched the gray haired man looking like he was already in his fifty's, wearing his fancy three piece suit and a vintage like pair of black leather shoes walk like a hundred year old turtle as he fixed his thin glasses and stared at her.

Stella was a bit surprised why the president suddenly wanted to come to her. He never really got in touch with her even after the incident. He just sent his secretary to talk to her and to take care of the case and the damages. Stella never had the privilege to talk to Pres. Leon but it looked like now's her chance.

On the other hand, Leon was having a hard time breathing properly after his eyes went down on the woman sitting at the front round table. The lady looked like the exact replica of Alana Estrella. He then realized that she was the daughter that his secretary talked about. He really thought that after what happened, the kid would think of transferring to another school so she could forget and move on, but she stayed. She remained a consistent student of Lincoln until college.

He then thought maybe she chose to endure it until it bothered her less. Maybe she did moved on without running away from her fears. She was obviously a fighter, just like her mother.

Stella remained calmly seated as the president finally reached the table and approached her.

"You must be Alana's daughter." the man concluded without even any signs hesitation as he looked down on her while she tilted her head and smiled.

His approach felt like he was some kind of a long lost family member. Stella felt like he really knew her mother, not just because of the incident. He had a connection with her, and she wanted to know more about it.

"Yes sir. The child of the mother killed in this school under your administration. I was actually expecting for your presence at my mom's funeral at least but, you weren't there."

She had no time for breaks. She did not even had second thoughts. She wanted to spit fire on his face and watch him burn.

Leon felt like he was cornered on a wall. His guilt made him feel uneasy and pressured. He knew the little lady was trying to offend him so he needed to keep himself together. He cannot afford to slip.

"I am very sorry, I had an important errand on that day. But I did send Sec. Risa on my behalf. Didn't she attend?"

Lies. Stella could not take this man. If it was not for her plans, she would have slap him right in that very moment. But she had to remain civil if she wanted things to go according to her plot.

"She did. But I do recall that she did not stay for too long."

"Well, we are all busy people."

The president was cold. Stella was being bold and intimidating but she could not break the ice in front of her. A criminal indeed. Heartless and unsympathetic.

"Good evening, sir. Nice speech by the way." Noah already butted in. He could feel the tension between Stella and Leon so he knew he had to do something before things blow up.

"Thank you very much." Leon greeted as he glanced quickly at the man beside the lady but he immediately glanced back at her as he excused himself, "anyway, I have to go back to my table now. You kids enjoy."

As soon as the old man turned his back on her, the lights in the hall went out and the speakers muted. Everyone inside were disappointed as they glanced at the window where the moon shined brightly, giving a little light outside.

Some stood up and left but mostly remained seated. They thought they could just wait for the electricity to come back, but Stella and Noah were waiting for something else entirely. It was already a signal. The real party was just about to start.

***