4. "IT'S MY LUCKY DAY!"

The following morning when I saw him while taking the trash out, I immediately asked him about last night's plans.

"So, how did the creative session go?" I raised my eyebrows in anticipation.

"EHH...WELL...IT DIDN'T HAPPEN." He spoke evasively. 

"Oh, you didn't like my suggestion? That's okay. We all have our own ways. " I replied casually.

"NO, I MEAN, I TRIED. " He elaborated, "I OPENED MY NOTEBOOK AND STARED HARD AT IT, THINKING OF WHAT TO WRITE BUT..."

"But?"

"ONLY TWO MINUTES LATER I FELL FACE-FIRST ON IT. WHEN I WOKE UP THIS MORNING I HAD INK STAINS ON MY FACE. YOU COULD EVEN READ THE WORDS. " He told the story with utmost earnesty.

As soon as he finished I began laughing. I laughed so loud I drew the attention of some passersby. But I only stopped when I was done.

I was bummed to know my tips did not work out for him and put him in an embarrassing predicament. Although he did not seem as embarrassed with it as I would have been. Had I been in that situation, I'd also have never told the story to another soul.

But I suppose he did not think about things like embarrassment or humiliation. He seemed to do only what he wanted without any hesitation. It was quite refreshing honestly, that is what I liked about his company. It made me feel open-minded too like I could do anything, achieve anything.

... 

Later that day I decided to try out a new cheese recipe. When I had made it and confirmed it was delicious, I thought to take some to Rengoku. I was sad my suggestion worked out terribly for him and I wanted to make up for it.

When I walked out of my house I saw someone already standing at his doorstep, waiting for the door to open.

It was a teenage boy with dark-rusty hair and big brown eyes. He was wearing a checkered green and black jacket. He had a distinct scar on the side of his forehead. He also seemed to have a food box in his hand.

The next moment Rengoku opened the door and his face instantly lit up.

"TANJIRO! LONG TIME NO SEE!" He laughed.

"We saw each other at the crossing the other day. I said 'hello' to you and asked for your new address. Don't you remember, Rengoku-san?" Tanjiro answered, laughing awkwardly.

"OH, THAT IS CORRECT!" Rengoku laughed again, not an embarrassed chuckle but a full-blown guffaw as before.

In the meantime, I circled around to his front door too.

"KIRA! HELLO!" He waved enthusiastically.

"I made a cheese dish and thought you'd like it." I raised my container to show him.

"THAT'S SO NICE OF YOU, KIRA! THANK YOU!" He answered.

He then eyed Tanjiro's container with curiosity.

"My mom made your favourite snack today so I thought to bring you some."

"IT'S MY LUCKY DAY!" He chirped and invited both of us in.

...

I sat on the couch while Rengoku went into the kitchen to empty the food into his own containers. Tanjiro settled on an armchair. He just looked down and played with his index fingers. I assumed he was uncomfortable with my presence so I thought to ease the tension.

"So how do you know Rengoku?" I broke the ice.

"WE USED TO BE NEIGHBOURS!" Rengoku yelled from the kitchen before Tanjiro could answer.