Chapter 2: Dark Ghost

They took me into a dark, stuffy room that needed some serious dusting. I sat at a table, which had a lamp like the ones in those cheesy good-cop bad-cop movies. 

Just perfect. 

I've been sitting here for about half an hour with no one but two guards in the room–one of them just fell asleep. I looked around to see if there were any exits; anything from doors, to small openings in the wall. Nothing. 

One of the guards–the one that wasn't snoring their brains off–was looking at me, as if I was a test rat to be dissected. I glared, eyes like acid. She smirked, and went back to her guarding position. 

"You're not going to find an escape route anywhere in here, kid. We made sure to keep this entire facility impossible to escape. So you're doomed to stay in this room until someone shows up, but I like your reaction. Reminds me of our toughest prisoner here at the center." She stated, as if she was proud to keep such a guy. Well, I now know who I'll fight come lunch. That is, if I even get out of this poor excuse of an interrogation room. Although, the guy's probably not that good considering he could still be locked up in this dump. I might as well brush up any info I can while I'm in here. 

"So, lady, what's the guy like? I'm sure he can't be that great if he's still stuck here, right? Even someone like you shouldn't speak so proudly of someone who's still locked up." 

She slipped me a slight glance of annoyance as she directed her attention to her snoozing partner. She sighed. "Out of all the guards off duty, Letta had to give me 'Dosing Duffy'." The name suited the fat guard well. 

She went to the table and sat in the chair across from me, so I studied her face. Her brown hair was pulled back into a low ponytail and there were dark circles under her blue eyes, she looked defeated. "First of all, my name is Meg. Secondly, the 'guy' has been through so many breakouts and captures that the kid wanted to take a break as well as give all us guards a rest." 

Is this a game to him? To start and stop when the enemy becomes tired and lets them rest? Maybe the guy doesn't want to leave. He's mentally insane. 

I turned my attention back to the guard, hoping that she didn't realize I wasn't listening. She didn't. 

"Plus, the ongoing visits to our resistance station has worn the kid down. However, Alex refuses to break, and continues to resist in any way possible. This kid has the strongest will the Center has ever seen. The other Advisors want to control Alex for their own 'military benefit'. Personally, I'm all against it, but I don't have a say considering that I'm a guard." 

I lifted my eyebrow in questioning. 

Meg smirked, "Advisors, with an o, are the highest power in the Center, after them is the Advisers, with an e, who are each assigned one of the students here. Below the Advisers are the guards. The guards, well, guard all places such as the cafeteria, gymnasium, and the bathrooms as well as hallways. The most are stationed near Alex. The guards are everywhere and see everything since they are security. Me, I'm an Adviser and a part-time guard. I only guard when people like you are interrogated or sent on missions." 

A ton of questions filled my head; that was a lot to take in all at once. So, I started with the simplest one, "So, Meg," she smirked at me, "the guy's name is Alex? That's actually pretty tough." 

She laughed. Apparently there was an inside joke that I didn't know about. 

"What's so funny?" I squinted at her. She stopped laughing, though her eyes still held onto the amusement. 

"Yes, the kid's name is Alex. Tough? They're pretty tough, but not exterior-wise. It's shown in their attitude and action more than anything else," she laughed, getting up from her chair.