A Lover's Betrayal

These empty halls make the loneliness I feel in my heart even more intense. Alec gave me his word that this is where our forever would begin, together. I place my hand upon the stairwell railing and it's almost as though you're placing your hand onto mine. I deeply miss your fingers intertwined with mine. Silence fills these halls and the portraits that used to hang so perfectly along the staircases wall have gone sideways. I take a deep breath in as I head up the staircase slowly, trailing my fingers along the yellow floral wallpaper. Walking up to our bedroom has never been harder for me. My eyes fixated to our bed where we used to share every laugh, every tear and every night entangled together. I carefully sit on the messed up, grey colored bedspreads. I begin to reminisce the day that Alec and I had met for the first time.

It was a frightful stormy day, stuck in the train station as we awaited news of any other means of transportation available. You had sat beside me as I was struggling to finish reading the manuscript that I had to look over for work. "Anything eye catching?" A soft, yet gentle voice had startled me quite a bit since I hadn't realized that anyone occupied the seat next to me. I gave you a slight smile as our eyes met.

"Most definitely." I muttered out.

We had talked for hours while waiting for the roads to clear up, but it felt like only a matter of seconds. Once the conversation started with you, it was almost impossible to end it. That's when your phone had started to ring, letting you know that your ride was awaiting out those brightly colored doors. "What if we continue our conversation tonight?" You then took ahold of my hand, gently and scribbled those 10 digits on the inside of my arm. I couldn't help for my face to lighten up like it was Christmas.

"I'll be looking forward to your call." Your smile that day had a permanent spot in my memory, I would replay that moment in my head every chance I got.

As my attention fades back to our empty bedroom, I wipe the stray tears that had fallen from my eyes, down my cheeks. I keep repeating to myself to be strong, that you're gone and there's nothing I could do to change that outcome. I try to imagine our first phone conversation we had that night, trying to fill my head with all the beautiful parts of our love.

It took me hours before I could get myself to hit the call button and only two rings before your voice muttered out that rugged "hello?" I was speechless, but finally found my words.

"Hey, it's me. You know-" I don't know why I didn't start the conversation with me telling you who "me" was. You cut me off before I could utter out another word though, "I knew it was you just by your voice." I tried to contain my excitement, but the inner child in me wanted to scream out in joy.

You were everything anyone could ever dream of having as theirs. You told me about all about your life and made sure to always apologize when you would accidentally talk over me. You made sure to be kind, considerate and listen to every word I was speaking.

I didn't want the conversation to ever end. I've never talked to someone that was actually willing to listen to my pointless rants and I've never even met someone that was as kind as you.

That whole night was filled with smiles, laughter and sweet memories that are forever in my heart. Replaying the memories that we shared started to strike me deep in my chest. It was hard to catch my breath.

I took a moment to myself as I laid down on our bed and looked up at the leaky ceiling. All of a sudden, the anger deep inside started boiling my blood when

I thought of that last day we had together.

Our forever ended when you walked out on me, just like everyone who ever entered my life.

When you took those steps towards the front rose-colored doors, something snapped in me that day. I couldn't let you leave me and break all the promises you made me. The vows we took that night under the dimmering lights and twinkling stars above. Yet, here we were and you were yelling at the top of your lungs. "I'm done! That's it, I can't take it anymore."

My body was filled with confusion and a mix of heated anger. "What can't you take anymore?" I yelled back at you, in frustration.

"You." The word came out so clear yet it was hard to take it in. We rarely ever fought, but the past few months something felt off and you didn't like it when I called you out on it.

You got more distant and stayed out later each night.

All the memories are flooding back into view.

I begged and pleaded that you at least have one last dinner with me before you left forever. Although you looked displeased, you agreed and put your packed bag by the doors. I gave a shy smile and we walked into the dining room together for the last time.

It felt like a scene right out of a romance novel, where I had prepared a special dinner and we would spend the night under the stars.

This isn't how our story ended though as the hate in your eyes just grew more with each passing moment. I prepared your plate and sat it in front of you and sat at the other chair that was across from you. You started to eat the lavishly cooked ham, that had been a bit overcooked as I was focused more on our argument than watching the food.

We used to have meals together like this all time and then share dessert on the bathroom floor, laughing about nothing.

I grinned when our eyes met and that's when you asked me for a drink. Thoughts were taking over my brain and I wasn't thinking clearly. I knew I would give into the other side, but why did you have to ask for a drink, Alec?

The ice drawer was empty and that's when the darkness took over, I couldn't fight it anymore.

"Honey, could you please get the ice from the basement freezer?" You let out a sigh as you got up from the table, making your way towards the basement stairs.

I wouldn't let you get the chance to leave me and remake those memories we made with someone else.

I couldn't stop thinking about a life where you were showering someone else with love.

I quietly turned down the hallway, following you and when you got to the stairs my hands felt as though they had a mind of their own.

Everything faded to black and when I came back to reality, your lifeless body was at the bottom of the musty, wet basement stairs.

I felt no pity or remorse, only happiness as my lips formed into a smile while walking down next to you. I brushed your beautifully, auburn colored hair to the side of your forehead, bestowing a kiss upon your lips as I whispered against them.

"You should have known I wasn't going to let anyone else leave me and live to tell the story."