Chapter One: New Girl

As the sun rises, it had casted golden beams of light upon Jorvik. The landscape had changed dramatically. The city was long gone behind her. The bus had went its way through a mountain pass. Craggy green mountains loomed overhead, some still wearing the last vestiges of snow on their peaks. The eighteen year old girl had seen astonishing pictures of Jorvik. High mountains, gentle rolling hills and slopes, and a rich shade of emerald green that almost looked photoshopped. The sparkling, vast blue sea around the island seemed endless. It brought the stories of colorful fairy tales she'd read when she was little to life.
She inched closer to the window, not willing to be seen by anybody. The girl waited a few hours and watched as the others they either gotten off the bus or had gotten onto the bus. But it wasn't long till she had arrived to Moorland Stables.
She got out of the green bus with her brown duffel bag planted in front of a pair dark brown boots and looked at the stables with admiration. The teenage girl had jumped out of the bus and looked at the stables with a determined smile. The wind gently ruffled her long, wavy sandy-blonde hair catch the morning light. As the sun continued rising into the dawning sky, the girl's bright blue eyes sparkled like the depths of the sea. Her skin is lightly tanned from her time in the sun. But what stood out the most was a scar marked over her eyebrow from a past accident. She was dressed in a black riding vest with a blue t-shirt underneath and a silver amulet on top of her riding vest as she continued walking by herself. She also has brown pants that's folded at her dark brown riding boots. She buckled on her black riding helmet onto her head and strapped on her black fingerless riding gloves onto her hands.
Her name is Freya Skyqueen. But to everybody else, she's a total mystery.
She never seen such a beautiful stables before. It has white petals falling from the trees around the blacksmith's cabin and workshop. She could smell the sweet scent of flowers in the grass and see grassy slopes outside of the stables. She noticed that there's about six or seven paddocks with some experienced and new riders on different kinds of horses or some pasture horses grazing peacefully in two of the paddocks.
It's both simple and beautiful in her eyes, she could sense most of the horses' presences within the stables and the paddocks. Freya never felt so excited and nervous about going to the stables that's filled with other riders around her age and who are probably horse crazy too.
Moorland Stables is a large and busy bounded area. As she walked closer, Freya could see a glimpse of the main area has white and tan stables with a few white and pink trailers by the stables. She saw a small, fenced-in red and white house on a hill, outside of the beach. She also saw about three or so racetracks for a riding club probably. There's a few shops that sells riding gear, clothes, and food that lines up towards the riding club's arena. She also saw that there are there are three gates outside from the stables, one leading to the race tracks and a club of girls. The last one leads to the outer part of Moorland which connects to Fort Pinta and Silverglade Village.
But she walked towards the gray-brown inn that's outside of the small courtyard with iron gates with the line of both new and experienced riders. Freya walked towards the inn and found a wooden door with her name on the plack. She used her key, which she was given by the instructor at the station, and unlocked the door with the key. She pushed the door opened and looked around warily.
The room is pretty descent: a clean white bed with soft-looking pillows on the left side. A window seat with blue curtains and a white cushion at the right side. A wooden desk with a mirror. A pencil box with pencils and pens on the desk. In other words, it seemed to be like a casual hotel room that she and her parents had rented awhile back when they were on the move.
After she finished unpacking most of her things, only her travelling satchel remained strapped over her left shoulder as she silently went towards the courtyard. She tried her best not trying to get any unwanted attention from the other riders as they all rode back and forth, barely noticing her as she kept walking towards the small courtyard and halfway hidden in the shade. But as soon as she stepped out of the shadows, she felt herself bumped into someone. She spun around defensively, but she soon calmed down when she realized that she had accidentally bumped into a boy two years older than her. He seemed to be slender and slightly muscular. He has warm hazel eyes and his eyes gleamed with earnestly. His hair is lustrous black, which appeared light in the sunlight. He has light tan skin that clearly shows he had spent some time in the sun. He was wearing a black shirt and gray pants, a bronze necklace with a golden star, a brown belt with a silver buckle, and brown riding boots.
"Welcome to Moorland Stables Freya. I'm Justin Moorland," said Justin. "Isn't the stables fantastic?"
She eyed him warily before looking at him in the eyes. She smiled shyly and looked around the stables, marveling the beauty of the stables.
"It's very beautiful," said Freya quietly.
"Over there is Stormchaser, who will be your horse this summer. Why don't you go for a short ride and get to know each other?" Justin walked away quickly to a gateway to get her horse, but Freya thought she saw something in his gaze that she hadn't gotten the chance to see.
She tried her best not to start speed walking as she paced as waited for her new horse, it's usually not really helpful for her anxiety or excitement, as she made her way down the aisle. She knew she should of least looked both ways before crossing the road, but something had caught her eye and saw a group of friends laughing and chatting with each other as they rode their horses. Freya was all alone and she felt the familiar pang of loneliness creep into her chest. One would think that after traveling alone for years, she would get used to waking up by herself... but she never did. The way the riders stand together is something that she had longed for so long: friendship.
A deep whinny came next to the gate, catching her attention and made her chase away her loneliness and replace it with excitement. The horse stood regally next to Justin, all tacked up and ready to be ridden. Freya saw something in the horse's eyes reassured her. His eyes were so mild. Brown like warm chocolate. He seemed to be studying her, as though he could see straight through her. Her fear evaporated when their eyes met. Suddenly, her breathing slowed. She felt calm and comfortable.
"Freya meet Stormchaser." She barely heard Justin as he spoke, but it seemed that the name matches the magnificent stallion.
She carefully walked up and stood in front of the horse, feeling a little intimidated by the handsome stallion. He has a powerful, muscular and slender build, but he controlled his temper. His neighing was deep and quiet, but it rumbled slightly like the ocean. His eyes are large and soft, but deep inside his eyes shone like fire both with warmth and strength. She noticed that he has a white blaze on the center of his face. His coat was golden like a tanned buck, completed with a long dark brown mane and tail. He's the most beautiful horse she'd ever seen. He tilted his head at her, as curious about her as she was about him.
Freya raised her right hand in front of her, she closed her eyes and waited as she felt uncertain of how to befriend one of the most independent stallions that ever lived. She felt her breath caught in her throat as Stormchaser leaned into Freya's palm, snorting softly, making Freya looked at the buckskin stallion in surprise. They both met each other's eyes with open curiosity, Freya somehow knew that they were confirmed as equals.
The two of them both met each other's eyes. Emotions rolled around inside Freya like a whirlwind. She don't know whether to feel joyful or awed or wonder or uncertainty. New feelings like lightning raced between them: newly made trust, curiosity, excitement, and understanding. Behind those brown eyes seemed to hide more intelligence than seemed possible for any horse and Stormchaser's eyes seemed to have the reflection of Freya's soul. Freya was surprised to see that Stormchaser seemed to be smiling at her with warm eyes. Stormchaser nickered softly and nodded to Freya, he lowered his head and began to nuzzle her face. While Freya gently held the stallion's head and made the stallion nickered in pleasure as gently scratched behind the stallion's ears.
Freya could have been wary, but all she could feel was warmth and affection for the horse as he put his head close to her and snorted. Freya let out a soft chuckle and thought to herself that he was behaving like a lovable puppy, despite being a horse.
An electric warmth rushed through her. It was like a buzzing electric current, but painless.
Trembling slightly, she continued to pet the stallion's warm and soft muzzle. The stallion stepped closer and blew air into her face. He smelled of pasture grass, warm stable, the beach, and something else she couldn't quite put her finger on.
I sound like I'm in love, Freya thought. She had never been in love, not really, but judging from what she'd read and seen in movies, she could guess that it was something close to what she was feeling right now.
But it was not infatuation. But it was certainly something. All she knew was that she wanted to be brave enough to ride the stallion and go on daring adventures that they both dreamt of having. It was as if they were the only ones who could both see and feel what freedom feels like. All that remained was Freya and Stormchaser with the inexplicable, electric warmth surrounding them.
"Why don't you try riding your new stallion in the paddock?" asked Justin.
"Lets do it." Freya smiled determinedly and Justin gave her a lead bridle. She smiled as Stormchaser didn't cause much trouble as she did back in the paddock earlier and let Freya lead him out of the small paddock.
Thomas Moorland had somehow caught wind of it, he gave some freshly cleaned tack that's been passed down in her family for many years. It wasn't long till Stormchaser was wearing very unique tack, including a brown English saddle and in the center of the saddle collar is a bright silver pendant that resembles Freya's amulet. There's a brown bridle with a pattern of blue stripes. While his riding blanket is bright blue that sparkled like constellations of rainbow-colored stars sewed into the fabric.
Freya was excited and determined about riding again, but her anxiety faded away as Stormchaser lovingly nuzzled his head against hers. It has been over five years since she last wore riding gear, but Freya was glad to have it again. She felt nothing, but determined and excited to be horseback riding again.
It was a clear, breezy day, and trees were swaying in the wind. It was a good day to start riding again. Freya glanced up at Stormchaser, who looked completely calm. Out of the corner of Freya's eye, she could see that Thomas and Justin were both studying the horse too. They left behind a fence that Freya had led Stormchaser into a paddock.
Freya put her foot in one of the stirrups and flung herself onto the saddle. She slipped her other foot into other stirrup and took hold of the reins. They walked on slowly in a circle inside of the paddock.
After a few minutes, Freya had finally stopped trembling. Stormchaser walked forward smoothly and gently, peering up at Freya. If horse can smile, Stormchaser just did. She smiled back at the stallion and felt a gentle touch of tears in her eyes. This time, it was tears of joy and massive pride. She's finally back in the saddle!
After a bit, Stormchaser trotted for a bit until she finally broke into a smooth, flowing canter. They were flying together, as though they're one in the same. Freya felt the gentle wind rushed through her. She was intensely aware of Stormchaser's movements underneath her. She felt herself smiling and Stormchaser let out a loud whinny. While Thomas laughed joyfully and Justin started clapping proudly.
I did it! I'm riding again! Freya smiled as she gently petted Stormchaser's neck as the stallion looked up at Freya proudly and she said to her new partner, "Thank you Stormchaser." Stormchaser whinnied and it wasn't long they started galloping around the paddock. They were soaring together, as though they're one in the same. Freya felt the whooshing of the wind going through her. I'm finally with a friend.