Chapter 16

The next morning, Joy took a sip of her coffee as she stared at the black and white wolf that lay on the floor in front of her bed. He looked so peaceful, like a giant puppy. She crouched next to him, stroking his fur. A soft grumble erupted from his throat and he scooted closer to her, placing his head on her lap.

"Good morning," she giggled and he opened his eyes. They flashed between blue and green, staring deep into hers.

"Hi," he rasped.

"There's some food in the fridge, you can make whatever you want. And just feel free to use whatever. My cell phone number is next to the landline so if there's an emergency you can call me."

"Are you going to work?"

"Yep." She stood up.

"Can I come with you?" He shot up.

"Like that?" She gave him a once over. "It's not, 'bring your pet to work' day."

"Ha ha," he rolled his eyes, his bones cracking.

Joy spat out her coffee and whipped around before he was fully shifted, clamping her eyes shut.
"What's the matter with you?" She shrieked.

"Nothing, what's the matter with you?" He countered.

"You're shifting in front of me."

"So?"

"Do you know how disturbing that process is to watch?"

"You were fine with it last night."

"Because I wasn't watching you, I was too busy shifting too. It's weird when it's just one person and you're just staring at their bones twisting and fur disappearing into their skin."

"Can I come with you or not?"

"You can, but... are you clothed?"

"Yes."

"How does that work? Aren't the clothes supposed to rip or something."

"Regular, human clothes do. But clothes from the village have a little special something that our ancestors created to have them stretch and merge with the fur. Like a second skin."

She turned back to him and her eyes travelled down his leather outfit. He gazed down at his clothes, feeling self-conscious.

"What?" He pouted.

"We have to make a short stop. Your outfit is... it's ummm..." she released a soft chuckle and he frowned. "Well, you know what it is." She drew her cup to her lips, avoiding his eyes. "Take a shower and we'll leave," she spoke fast and left the room.

***

Shopping for an outfit for Jude was a dream come true for Joy. He was like her perfect model. She had taken him to one of her LUNAR popup stores, and played dress up with him the whole morning.
In the process, she was inspired, her muse working his magic on each of the clothes she had chosen, and the ones in her mind. When they got to the office she was ready to create.
Joy's assistant, Lana, stole glances at Jude each time she entered the office. Joy had never allowed anyone in her office for long, and what was even more surprising was how she would step out and leave him alone in there.
At first, Lana thought he was a bodyguard, but remembered how Joy hated having people in her space.

"Is there anything else, Lana?" Joy gazed up at her, snapping her out of her trance. She had been staring at Jude who was lying on Joy's couch with his eyes closed. He was in a tank top, tattoo fully on display on his bicep.

"No ma'am," she glanced at Jude again.

"Oh, that's a distant cousin." She gestured to Jude. "Very distant," Joy added with a teasing smile and Jude's eyes snapped open. "From my mother's side."