Part 0: Intro

(CW SUICIDE MENTIONED)

*This is an introduction to the world of my book, if you just want to read the story you can skip to Part 1*

Welcome to Level Eight of Purgatory.

In my upcoming novel PurgaTerry (out August 2023; preorder link here https://givebutter.com/PurgaTerry)

Purgatory is the flyover state of the afterlife. It's a transitional place where souls that die by suicide can work off the years they had left on Earth doing 'community service' for various departments that aid the living world.

Level Eight is where the bus station is, because this is where the Soul Shepherds reside. These are my version of grim reapers (with a friendlier name) who help souls transition from life to the afterlife.

Both our main characters in PurgaTerry and Newly-Minted Manager are Soul Shepherds, hoping to fill their quotas and eventually get to go on from Purgatory.

Here is the official synopsis for PurgaTerry for those who are interested:

The afterlife has a flyover state, and it's called Purgatory. Overlooked, often misunderstood, and exactly where Terry ends up. Upon her death, she is not met with pearly gates or fire and brimstone, but with gray office buildings and a crummy apartment. As a death-by-suicide, Terry must reside in Purgatory while performing 'community service' to rid her of her sins and work off the time she had left on Earth.

She meets Dean, her quippy, sarcastic manager and under his management, she becomes a trainee Shepherd, a guide helping recently deceased souls cross over to their final destination. Terry - not content with this new role or this third-rate afterlife - believes that there must have been some mistake concerning her death. With so many things surrounding her demise going unexplained by her superiors, Terry resolves to get the truth by any means necessary.

Exploring themes of death, suicide, and mental illness through the eyes of someone who has been through all three, I hope that with my adult paranormal novel PurgaTerry I can shine some light on these sensitive issues and remove some of the stigmas through a quirky, dark humor-laden story.