Part 3: Perks of Management

By the time Cassiopeia arrived, Dean and Theo were sitting under a nearby tree, its evergreen branches blocking most of the moonlight, but that apparently didn't trouble her to find them.

They were laughing at a story Theo was telling about his son, Jimmy, who was no older than three, and a broken centerpiece belonging to the boy's grandmother. Jimmy had hidden the evidence and felt so guilty the entire car ride home that once they'd returned to the Donovan house, he had demanded to call Theo's mother-in-law immediately to apologize.

As they laughed about it, Cassiopeia's high-heeled shoes came into Dean's view. He straightened up immediately, standing and attempting to look more professional and not like he had forgotten what he was supposed to be doing — which, in fact, he all but had.

He motioned for Theo to stand as well, eyes still on Cassiopeia, who stood a couple of feet away with her arms crossed, one of them holding down a clipboard that no doubt had Theo's ticket attached to it. “I'm glad to see you're having fun with your new duties, Dean,” she said, her sternness genuine this time as she looked from him to Theo.

“Cassio,” he began apologetically. “Now, I followed the protocol, didn't I, Theo?” He turned briefly to Theo, who nodded. “See? I followed exactly what the booklet said to do.”

“Theo?” Cassio said with surprise.

“Dean, being on a first-name basis with the target isn't part of protocol.”

Dean closed the few steps between them, bringing his voice down as he got closer to Cassiopeia.

“Look, I wasn't — I wasn't getting anywhere the way it was laid out in the rules. So I tried doing it my own way. And look how much more at ease he is. I didn't even have to use that emotional-numbing trick.”

“That wouldn't have worked on him anyway, seeing as he's already deceased,” Cassiopeia said. “And what do you mean, 'your own way'? Please tell me you at least told him about the choice.”

Dean nodded emphatically. “Of course, Cass, I mentioned it. But he wasn't receptive to anything I was saying until I tried talking to him. You know, like another human.”

She sighed as she moved the clipboard into both of her hands, muttering half to herself, “Well, I suppose you would do that.”

“Hey, don't get upset about it. I tried something different, and I know that's not your thing, but you can't argue with my results.” Dean shifted his gaze and called to Theo, who stood still a short way away. “Theo, you remember that choice we talked about? You got an answer for us now?”

Theo stepped up to their sides, looking a bit flustered to be called so suddenly, or maybe that was due to Cassio's critical eye and no-nonsense demeanor.

“Yes, I have,” he said.

“This is the boss I was telling you about,” Dean muttered to him, and he nodded with understanding.

“Well, Ms. Cassiopeia, ma'am, Dean's told me I can agree to come with you and serve my remaining living years in Purgatory.”

“That's correct,” Cassio said, a question in her tone as she still held the clipboard and the man's ticket.

“And I've decided I would like to take you up on it, if you please. It's my best chance at seeing my family again, right?”

Cassiopeia eyed Dean before answering him. “It is. But you must understand, Mr. Donovan, that you could be serving upwards of fifty Earth years in whatever your assigned department is.”

“I understand,” Theo said. “Dean's explained it all very well.”

Another suspicious look flicked towards Dean, but then Cassiopeia handed Theo the clipboard. “Then I'll need you to sign this form, and we'll start the process. Take this ticket — it has already been punched — and board the next bus to the Welcome Center. I'll be waiting for you there.”