Chapter One

A few hours before taking command of the con, Captain Todd Latham sat in his rack anticipating the day ahead. As he contemplated, the clock in his state room ticked with the passage of seconds, which he thought resembled a heartbeat.

This would be his final patrol, his final journey on a tin can below the ocean's surface. This would be his final command of a United States Nuclear Submarine. He would then take the money due to him by Uncle Sam and retire somewhere far from the ocean, he hoped, with his wife Elaine, ready to live out the remainder of his days as an ordinary person. He could finally be called by his first name instead of the mindless epithets he had become accustomed to.

Sailor.

Sir.

Captain.

Captain Latham's service record was long and distinguished. He was proud of his 25 years of service aboard some of the finest submarines in the world. He had started out as a sonar operator aboard the USS KENSHKIN and slowly made his way through the ranks serving on numerous vessels throughout his career. For the past ten years, however, he has been right here aboard the USS MATOYER.

The captain stood to his feet and tiredly walked over to the sink in his state room, washing his face before drying it with a towel. He looked in the mirror moving his head side to side as if he were intently studying the aging lines. He then ran a hand over his freshly shaven face. Soon after, he filled a glass with water and tossed back a couple of Advil liqui-gels. He suffered from severe headaches, that weren't quite migraines, and thought it always best to stay ahead of them. His routine was interrupted with the buzz of the intercom:

"Sonar Contact", the voice, urgent yet calm. " Possible submerged submarine bearing 060 to starboard".

Captain Latham, without missing a beat, threw on his dressings and headed for the control room. at the con was the XO, Lt. Gregory Letney, a third-generation submariner. He stood tall in his uniform, assuming a very "Commanding" pose, his hands behind his back.

"Mr. Letney". The captain's voice rang out. "What do we got?" Before the Lt. could answer a hurried voice carried through the control room from behind. "Radar confirms Akula Class submarine now bearing 050, traveling at 20 knots, sir!"

Latham turned to look in the direction of the voice. Through a hatchway sonar and radar operators were hard at work and one face was staring back at the captain. The chief operator had poked his head through the hatchway relaying messages.

The captain steadied himself, squaring up with the chief. "Are they moving away?"

Chief shook his head. "Negative, sir. 300 yards out and closing." the next word out of his mouth sounded worried. "Fast."

"Mr. Letney" said the captain as he turned around to face the rest of the control room. "Set condition 1, got to General Quarters. I now have the con."