Good Luck

JB's Pov:

I didn't expect being called up to play for the National Team, in all honesty. I play midfielder, which I don't think they need because they're stacked. Though I won't lie, I am one of the fastest girls they have within the program.

Everyone state's it's because of my mom. "The astounding actress, Anne Hathaway," which she is. Though I worked hard for everything. She never let me settle and use her as a getaway card. Let alone getting a scholarship and a position with the lower National team. That was me.

Now that I made my way up the ladder, the chirping about having everything handed to me is only getting louder.

As for me making the U.S team, they just need spare bodies and what not for practice. And of course if the second woman gets hurt. There's no surprise that I'm the third option, likely the last. But I'm grateful to be given the opportunity to be brought up to the next stage.

Anyone would die to be in my position. That is if the game wasn't on the line...

____

~November 20th, 2022~ (2nd Round of the World Cup)

The game was going our way for the most part. Morgan scored within the 12th minute, but Switzerland answered after half with 30 minutes left.

Almost everyone in the stands were biting their nails. Most were our fans because the World Cup is in the U.S this year. Especially playing in Las Vegas, no one would pass up on seeing Allegiant Stadium.

Most of the celebrities were being shown on the Jumbotron. From my own mom to the Marvel actors and Stranger Things cast.

"JB!" Coach V yelled out to me. Knocking me out of my trance.

I jumped out of my seat, making my way towards him. "Yes Coach?" Take off your warmups, get ready to go in.

I looked at him in shock. My face is almost going pale, "Uh what??" He looked back to me from his clipboard, "Rapinoe is coming out with the trainer," he said pointing towards them. "That means you're in, so hurry and get warm." I didn't even notice Megan getting hurt.

I threw my sweats and long sleeves off. Going to the side to run sprints. Making sure I'm ready for action.

"JB come here," our assistant Coach Sarah waved out to me. "Make sure to space the field. They're playing Morgan heavy. Don't be afraid to take a shot if you have it." I take a deep breath, acknowledging her advice. "Hey, don't be nervous. Coach V wouldn't put you in if he didn't believe in you. Play smart and you'll be fine."

"Now subbing in for Megan Rapinoe... number 11, Y/N Bennet," the announcer stated. Coach Sarah gave me one last pat on my back, "Get out there." I tapped my chest three times, pointing to the sky, and ran out.

I could see the Jumbotron focus on my Mom, she's screaming and looks to be shouting my name. I can't help but laugh to myself.

As I got to my position Megan jogged to me, "Don't let them get outside leverage. They want to drive it up the side and drag them with us so they can swing it to the middle for an open drive." I nod to let her know I understand. "Have fun, alright?" I give her a thumbs up, jumping up and down, trying to get the blood flowing through my legs.

The whistle was blown, letting us know the ball was in play.

I ran to the back field, supporting the defenders. Yelling out to Girma that I have her backside. As I got to the middle of the back field I saw that the forward was looking to switch the field. Before she could do so I cut her off, sliding at the ball and kicking it out of bounds.