Laughing Jack

The Story of Laughing Jack

Once upon a time, there lived a small boy named Charlie. Charlie was a lonely little boy with no friends and his parents were so busy working they didn't have any time to play with him. Charlie was sad because of this and he wished that someday, somehow, he would have a friend to play with.

One morning, Charlie woke up to find something strange sitting on the floor of his bedroom. It was a small wooden box with many wonderful colors on it. On the top was a small carving that read: Jack-In-a-Box. It was a classic little toy that made Charlie's eyes light up. He instantly grabbed the toy's skinny metal crank and sang along to the happy tune it played.

"All around the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the weasel. The monkey thought t'was all in good fun. 'Pop goes the weasel!'"

At the song's climax, the lid to the wooden box sprung open to reveal a hollow, empty inside.

Charlie was disappointed and threw the box back to the floor of his bedroom.

But when the box clattered to a stop, it jumped up and the crank began to play itself madly. The tune "Pop Goes the Weasel" played until all of its notes slurred together. Suddenly, the top of the box exploded open and out tumbled a little boy who was no older than Charlie himself.

This was a strange little boy. His hair was bright orange in color and he had bright blue eyes. On his face sat a pointy, swirly, rainbow cone-nose. He had a bright red smile that went all the way to his cheeks. On his shoulders sat great big patches of fluff and feathers of many different colors. He wore a lime green and bright yellow shirt with rainbow stripped sleeves. A pair of purple suspenders and a blue belt kept his baggy dark pink pants up so they didn't fall down. He also wore rainbow patterned stockings and a pair of blue boots that seemed to be too big for his little feet.

The little clown-boy stared at Charlie until a big smile appeared in his face.

"Hi!" he squeaked "My name is Laughing Jack, and I'm your new best friend, for life!"

"Best friend?" Charlie asked, "Wait . . . how did you even get here?"

Laughing Jack laughed, "Some would say the stork brought me."

"But you were just in the box, weren't you?"

"Oh yes!" Laughing Jack took Charlie by the hand and walked him over to the box.

"You see?" Laughing Jack said as he picked up the box and pointed to its hollow inside, "I was in there until you let me out. Now we can play!"

There was no telling Laughing Jack to go away, and before long the two friends were playing together. Every day. They'd play hide-and-seek, i-spy, tag, and other fun games. Sadly, though, Charlie's parents never saw Laughing Jack and they simply thought he was some sort of imaginary friend.

Jack and Charlie were the best of friends for the longest time. They grew together, they played together, they slept together, and they told each other secrets and promised to never tell. Laughing Jack was the only friend Charlie had, and Jack only had Charlie and the little wooden box, and that was where Jack would go if he couldn't be with his best friend.

One day, Charlie came home from school with a new friend; a girl with long red hair and bright green eyes. Jack listened from his box as they talked about all the things Charlie would talk about with him, only Charlie never said a word about Laughing Jack.

It was clear to Jack what was happening: Charlie was growing up. Now whenever Jack came out of the box, it was always to talk about the red-haired girl named Maggie, and Laughing Jack started to feel like he was no longer Charlie's best friend.