Introduction

"Dracary's."

It felt like the sun kissed the earth. That's my description; the moment they muttered the words, hell reigned on us. The flames were broadening, the intensity was dried, and the heavens polluted the world from baby blue, now submerged with gray and black smoke. The townsfolk wailed and shouted, driven to free their souls, the broadening warmth imprisoning them. Metallic and charcoal-like coalesce, the odor, pungent, the smell lingered. Everywhere I turned, the world burned and smoldered; my lungs tautened, coughing, as my throat was ablaze. The world became immersed in the inferno. The heavens blackened, above a shadow cast upon us, solace.

However, it dreads me, The bells were ringing, and the shadow roared, anxiety rising, covering my ears; I scampered as the heavens trembled, the screech alerting its presence. But it was too late. My back was ablaze, tears rolling profusely, and the end of the inferno barely grazed me. However, those in the back of me now joined my grandmother. My back pulsated, the contusion fresh and alive, the unbearable agony. Upon reaching my home, I bolted into the place, ransacked. I worried for my mother, "M-Mom, are you here?" A hoarse voice hinted with fear. Had she left? I froze, had she left me? Panic coursed through me. However, when the sky cried, the roar trembling the world below, I hid under my bed. My breathing was erratic, as the pain was excruciating. Tears drenched my face, biting my hand, while my back followed the charcoal-like scent. The beast above, mounting the heavens, gliding through the town, lay waste to the rest of the village. Trembling, the shrieks of the burned resonate, covered ears, the shrieks increase, my head throbbing, my heart hammers my chest, my vision blurred, and then it was silent. As if the world muted itself, the silence dreading.

The only sound was the cackle of flames. What happened? Then, just as it vanished, it appeared. The ceiling creaked, and dust fell along before collapsing to the ground; I screamed, my voice cracking, my throat throbbing, and then silence. In my home, the floorboards creak with anguish. Half the building is now absent, demolished, and ruined. The beast releases a screech, ear-piercing before the shadow cast below, under the bed; I saw the beast. Horns adorned its jaw, the blackened scales, and the scent of burning wood and ash engulfed me. I heard snarls; it was searching, and creaking wood and bricks descending echoed. "I know you're here. Come out." That voice hinted with malicious intent.

Anxiety arose, sobs wracking. I concealed myself, biting my lip, metallic taste. Thump, my heart palpitated at the sound of boots against the floor, urging me to shudder as chills ran down my spine. Goosebumps adorn my arms, the echoes reverberating, mocking silence with each thump, and the creak of the floorboards, the closer they get, dreads me. "Where are you?" a thick voice hinted with irritation. It's distant but near; calculating the distance, I jolt as guttural growls reverberate and the swish of its tail annihilates. The ruins, crumbling, immersed with thoughts, oblivious to the footsteps nearby, are now in front of me.

Suddenly, the bed gets hurled; I shrieked, retreating. The silhouette above grips my ankle, dragging and hovering over me at least six feet. They are lean and massive. Intimidating. The only sound heard was my breathing, heavy and erratic; the silhouette was unreactive, "So that's where you were hiding." A smirk plastered their face. "I do-don't know yo-you, why a-are y-you do-doing this?" Stuttering, my heart about to leap, cold sweat adorns my body, dread seeping through, my head spinning, and I cannot breathe.

I gasped, my body giving in, the burns scorching with anguish, my hands clammy, and my lungs tauten as if my airways tangled. Why now? At the mercy of this stranger, why? In the midst, the person unsheathed their sword, and I tried to retreat. A deep chuckle resonated. Their sword, hoisting my chin, tears gather, my blue eyes obscured, "Ready?" Unreactive, they glide their blade to my throat, the edge aching to propel. Terrified, I shook my head. However, my fight or flight was activated. It was foolish and dull-witted, and at that moment, I leaned ahead, headbutting the person.

The collision resonated, a crack echoed heard, and the person grunted. I stood up and became lightheaded, and my legs wobbly, giving in as I tried to run. The person growled inhumanely and tackled me. "Enough!" they seethed. The beast snarled. The jaw unbarring as fire illuminated its throat, the intensity overwhelming. I shut my eyes. Its breath on my back, biting my lip, choking the anxiety, and hissing back.

"Aw, someone seems unwell." I could only glance at them, hazed. Their boots were in front of me, now resting on my face. "We must make haste, now. Hold still for me, yes?" What did they mean? The blade hovers over my neck, the edge now propelling. I felt a tickle; huh? In the midst, I blinked, and anxiety arose. The obsidian obscured my vision; where was I? I reached for my neck, but no indication of blood or contusion. Next, my back was like new, trembling; what was going on? The blade propelled me, and I expected more. The sword's edge was quite excruciating, as the soldiers told me. So, why did it not? Am I dead? The anxiety submerges me, my world, gyrating, and I'm descending. I reach my arm out as a gentle voice is heard, "Are you a messiah or a pariah?" That was the last thing I heard before the darkness greeted me.