Chapter Three

And this is where the fun starts. Heehee.

*****
"Happy birthday Adrian!" Dana said, dashing into Adrian's room to give her a hug.

"Thanks Dana," she said hugging her back.

"So... let's open your birthday gift!" Dana said excitedly as she opened a package that Adrian didn't notice before. In it was a crown, significantly different from all the tiaras she had. This wasn't a tiara, it was a crown and she loved it.

"I know you're sick of all those tiaras in your collection. You want a real crown so I got this made especially for you. I wish I could get you a sword but-," Dana blabbed.

"I love it," said Adrian and she hugged Dana once more. Dana smiled. They were only a year apart, Adrian being older.

"I am honoured to give you your first coronation," she said and placed the crown on Adrian's head. Adrian beamed.

"Thank you so much Dana," she said.

"It is a pleasure my Queen," Dana said and curtsied making Adrian laugh.

"Okay, now help me choose which dress to wear," Adrian said excitedly, holding up a beautiful blue dress in one hand and a lavender in the other.

"Blue, of course. But you seem awfully happy today. You are usually never this excited on your birthday," Dana said, observing her.

"This one is different. It is my 21st after all."

"And?" Dana asked suspiciously and Adrian sighed.

"Fine. Father let me visit the village today."

"Really? That's such good news! How did you manage to convince him?"

"You know I have my ways," Adrian said with a smirk.

"So when are you coming back?" Dana asked and Adrian hesitated.

"Well...soon," she said and Dana stared suspiciously.

"Adrian?"

"Hmm?" Adrian replied still busy with the dresses.

"What are you up to?" Dana asked slowly.

"Nothing of course. I'd be just in time for the ball."

"Adrian!" She said and Adrian sighed.

"Okay. I have a plan," Adrian began.

"Oh no. Not again."

"Would you please just listen?" Adrian pleaded, "I have to escape somehow. I need to go into the lands in search for an answer."

"Have you gone mad Adrian? Where exactly are you going and what answer are you searching for?" Dana asked apprehensively. But she already knew her friend had made up her mind and there was no stopping it.

"I don't know. But I know there is something out there that can save us and make things right. And I will find it."

"Save us from what?"

"I don't have a good feeling about this alliance Dana and it's not just because I don't want to get married. And the war? It has to be stopped."

"Adrian-"

"Please Dana," Adrian said, holding her hands desperately, "I need you to trust me. I need to do this. I will be extra careful I promise. And you of all people know very well that I will escape no matter what. I'm asking you not to make this harder than it already is. Take it either as a favour for your best friend or an order from your Princess. Your choice. But please let me."