Chapter 20

Joe's POV

As I was making lunch my phone went off. I stopped what I was doing to answer it.

"Hey there baby, I miss you."

"Aw I miss you too, how are things going back home? I should be back by tomorrow night," Demi said.

"Things are good, I just got done making lunch. How's your friend doing?" I heard her sigh into the phone.

"She's doing much better, not 100% but she should be fine." As I was about to say something, I heard a knock on the door and Shay standing outside.

"Hey my love, I have to get going."

"Okay babe, I'll see you tomorrow, I love you."

"I love you too." After I hung up I went to let Shay inside. "Hey, how's Nick doing? Did you talk to him yesterday?" She made her way towards the living room and sat on the couch. I followed after I went to get her a water.

"Thanks," she said grabbing it. "I did talk to him yesterday and he was still a bit of a mess. He was much better this morning and is actually coming home early."

"Oh? You must be happy about that."

"I am, but I feel so bad for him. Honestly all I want to do right now is to hold him, I need to hold someone." I moved closer to her and took her in my arms.

"I'm not him, but I'm the closest you have at the moment," I told her resting my chin up top of her head. She smiled then wrapped her arms around me. Being like this made me think of how much I miss Demi, and how badly I want to hold her right now.

After being in this position for about 5 minutes, I let her go. "Hey, so I have to head to the mall to get some pants and other things. Would you like to come along?" I asked standing up.

"I would love to, I think I need to get out and stop stressing over Nick," she slightly smiled and I held my hand out to help her up. Once she stood up, her phone rang. "Oh it's Nick, I'll meet you outside Joe. Would it be okay if I drove?" I nodded my head then went out the door.

Shay's POV

"Hey, how ya feeling?" I asked Nick through the phone.

"A lot better, Olivia and I are going to be going out to dinner. I just wanted to run that by you and make sure you're okay with it." His voice sounded a lot calmer and that gave me a wave of comfort, knowing that he's okay.

"Of course I'm okay with it, I'm actually getting ready to go to the mall with Joe. Would you like me to get you anything? A new shirt or pants?" Nick got quiet for a moment.

"Why don't you surprise me, I have a special surprise for you." He gave me his sexy voice that he does whenever he wants sex or anything to that degree.

"You're so cute, I seriously can't wait for you to come back. I miss that body of yours and I'm eager to see what you have planned for my birthday tomorrow." I heard him let out a deep sigh, this can't be good.

"I won't be able to make it for your birthday, I'm so sorry, I promise I'll make it up to you." I closed my eyes knowing this was going to happen.

"It's alright Nick, I completely understand, just come home soon." I tried my best to cover the hurt that portrayed in my voice.

"Are you sure you're okay with it?"

"I'm sure," I lied. I was looking forward to this for so long and now that it's gone, it hurts way more then words could describe. I wasn't going to tell him that though, he's been through enough heartache.