Prologue

"Frerin? Are you awake?"

Frerin Durin rolled over onto his back and stared up at the ceiling. For the first time in months—at least, he thought it was months. Time had a way of meaning almost nothing over here—he was actually nervous. His stomach twisted tightly, the way it had when he was fourteen years old and found himself playing Seven Minutes in Heaven with Holly Andrews.

Only this time, far more was at stake that just a kiss and a possible opportunity to feel up the only girl who actually had boobs in ninth grade.

"Frer?"

"Yeah, I'm coming." He sat up and swung his legs over the side of his bed. The room around him was tranquil blue, with white drapers fluttering on the soft breeze. It was simple and comfortable and he didn't mind being there, but all things considered, if he blew this chance, he'd kick himself for the rest of eternity.

Eternity.

He didn't want to think about it.

He eased his feet into white Vans and padded across the room to tug open the door, where he found Tori smiling up him. Her dark eyes sparkled as she said, "Are you excited, Frer? You've been waiting for this for a while now."

"I don't know," he admitted softly, pulling the door shut behind him. "I'm kind of used to it here. I don't know how I feel about going back... there..."

She slipped her hand into his and gave it a squeeze. "You want this and you know it. And you should. And I'm happy for you."

"I haven't gotten the okay just yet."

"You will."

As they drew near the Great Room, Frerin's gut twisted worse than ever before. His mouth went dry. His heart pounded so hard, he thought Tori could hear it, although she said nothing.

At the door, she turned to him. "You've got this, Frerin. I believe in you."

"Thanks."

"And no offense, but I hope I don't see you again."

He managed to grin. "No offense, but I hope so, too."

She slid her arms about his waist and pushed up onto her toes to brush his lips with a kiss.

Then she was gone.

He sighed, turning back to the closed doors. White. Everything around him was white. He'd never seen so much white as he had in the days since he'd arrived. White and tranquil. This had been home for the last six months. The outside world had gone on without him, even when he ventured out into it every now and then. He saw it, but only some of it saw him.

"Frerin? Any time you're ready."

He flinched at the deep voice, which was silly. He wasn't in any trouble Not at all. He was on the Big Guy's good side, but that voice just... it reminded him of when he was a kid and in trouble for something. He wasn't this time, of course, but some things never changed.

The doors opened on their own and he stepped into the Great Room, with its vaulting ceilings and columns, its white runner leading to the sunken living room, where the Big Guy sat on an overstuffed sofa, a book open and face down next to him.

"Frerin Durin," he said with a smile. "I've been waiting for you. Your six month review was very positive and your reviews are exemplary. I understand," he wiggled his fingers and a manila folder appeared in his hand, which he opened and thumbs through, "you helped your brother," blue eyes flicked up to meet his, "Thorin?"

"Yeah. Thorin's my older brother."

"Ah... right, it says that right here. Anyway," the Big Guy tapped his cheek with a forefinger, "you helped him not only solve your murder, but..."

He smiled. "You helped him find love as well."

Frerin grinned. "Yeah. Al is perfect for him, they both just needed a push."

"And you helped Tori adjust as well. You realize," those blue eyes narrowed, "no one else has ever been able to do that? So many have tried, but only you succeeded."

"I know how she felt," Frerin admitted. "I didn't want to be here, either, no offense."

"None taken. You're honest and I appreciate that." The Big Guy flipped the folder closed. "All right then, this is how this works. I give you a second chance, you return to your earthly form, the week before your death. No one but you will know what happened, or that you've come back. To them, nothing has happened since they last saw you. Only you know and you get but one chance, to right the major wrong in your life and fix it. If you do not right it in those seven days, you come back here and there will be no more chances."

"Right the wrong? But, how do I know which one is the major one?"

"You will know. You need only think about it."

"Think about it. Oh, boy... okay. If you say so." Frerin rubbed the back of his neck. "Uh, I have one more question. Or maybe it's a request. I'm not sure."

The Big Guy sighed. "Yes?"

"My brother, he's happy with his girlfriend. I don't want to see him unhappy. Any way he and Al can be together, even if they didn't actually get together until a few months ago, after I died? I mean, you can do that, right?"

"You want Thorin and Alex to still be together?"

Frerin nodded. "Yeah. He'd wanted to ask her out around Halloween but chickened out. Is there a chance you can make him have not chickened out? You know, bend the timeline a little more than you're already bending it?"

The Big Guy's normally smooth forehead wrinkled. "I can, but no one has ever asked me to do so before."

"I saw Thorin miserable for a long time," Frerin told him softly, shaking his head, "and I don't want him to be miserable again. Al makes him happy."

"Very well. Consider it done." The Big Guy looked to his left. "Diane, make a note of that, please."

Frerin had no idea who Diane was or where she stood, as he saw no one else there, but then a soft voice said, "Done."

Frerin swallowed hard as he nodded. "I understand."

"I hope so," the Big Guy told him solemnly, shaking his head, "for I mean it, there will be no other chances. And if you return here, you will not be able to go back, not even to visit your loved ones. Is that clear?"'

Frerin nodded. "It is."

"Good." The Big Guy smiled then. "Good luck and I hope you do not come back. No offense."

"None taken."