Chapter Thirteen

Normally, the sight and sound of a fire engine racing down Main Street didn't really draw all that much attention at Miss Fortune's Crystal, but this time, Syd looked up at the wail of the siren and her heart leaped into her throat as an engine bearing the words Cranford Falls Fire Department and the number two in gold on its side went roaring by. Engine Two/Ladder Two. Frerin's house.

It was the first time she really thought about what firefighters did. What Frerin did. She remembered a conversation she'd had with her sister Alex, as Alex and Thorin were in the beginning stages of their relationship and she'd been hesitant about getting involved with him.

"Well," Alex chewed on her popcorn,"he's a cop, for one thing."

That amused Syd, as Cranford Falls was hardly a hotbed of criminal activity."So what? We live in a pretty safe town."

"Yeah, but things happen."

It was a good thing Alex wasn't there to see Syd now fighting the urge to pace, the urge to dig out her cell phone and call Frerin to make sure he was all right. How did Alex do it? Cranford Falls was safe, but she knew Thorin had had a few close calls over the years. And Syd knew for herself that Frerin had as well.

"Like I said," he replied, carrying her toward the stairs, "I'm a fireman. I haven't dropped anyone since I was a probie. You're in good hands."

"Wait, you dropped someone?"

"It was an accident." He carried her out of the living room and toward the stairs. "She was trying to get away from me because she didn't want to leave her purse in the room. I told her to hold still, but she wriggled and squirmed and I dropped her and we both went through the floor."

She'd seen for herself the faded, but still raised surgical scars on Frerin's right knee, from when he'd torn his ACL his rookie year.

Don't think about that.

"Frerin, you're a big guy. You have a beautiful, soothing voice and a calm air about you. I'll bet none of those people in that house last night were afraid once they saw you."

She sighed, unable to get the thoughts to leave her in peace. Sometimes her brain was her own worst enemy.

"Syd? Are you okay?" Charlie came up to the counter. "You're white as anything."

"A fire truck just went by."

"Yeah, I heard it." Charlie's expression grew concerned. "Frerin's house?"

"Yeah."

"Syd, you spent one night with the guy."

"Two nights, actually. And I don't know, he keeps saying he's going to prove to me he's not playing with me."

"Syd."

"I know, I know. I can't be sure he isn't. But, Charlie, I want to believe him."

"Yeah, I know, but when someone shows you their true self, sometimes you have to just cut your losses because they are not changing."

"But what if that isn't his true self?" The siren's scream faded into the distance and she sighed as she rested her elbow on the glass and her chin on her fist. "What if he does mean it?"

"Well, how hurt will you be if he vanishes again?"

Syd sighed. Sometimes, Charlie was so flighty, but other times? She was as astute as Gram and that was saying something. "I don't know I will because part of me kind of expects he'll do just that."

"Then I guess you're good. I don't know, Syd. You know my track record with guys. I'm probably the last one to give anyone dating advice."

Syd looked over at her sister. Charlie and Teddy were the ones guys always seemed to chase and it never really bothered Syd before. But now, she tapped her fingernails lightly against the glass counter. "Hey, Charlie? Can I ask you something?"