Chapter 1

I groaned as I got up sliding my slippers on. I could already tell today was going to be a long day.

I really don't want to go to work today. Yesterday a old man barged in, thinking he owned the place or something and threatened me "I NEED ANOTHER ROUND" screaming across the room with slobber flying everywhere over my clean tables. I could tell just by the gaze of his eyes, his dry throat.. he definitely got kicked out of the bar across the street.

It's so dreadful being the person everyone goes to talk to especially when their drunk. Hearing their life stories , family problems , relationships issues you name it.

When all I really wanted, was to be listened to.

-

"Times up! You can finally go home Ezra I know you had a long day" my boss Berlin spoke to me well I was wiping the dirty glasses. "Okay, uh I uh... don't mind staying longer if you need some help?" I softly stuttered leaving a sigh. "No! Don't be silly Ezra! You ALWAYS stay late. Listen I don't even pay overtime, why are you still here? Get your ass home". Ugh, truth be told it is just so lonely being by myself, everyday.. all day. The least I could do is surround myself with a bunch of drunks who love me mainly because I give them booze but still.

As I'm walking home from work I heard a strange noise of a.. what was it? What is that? It's a baby? No toddler! Crying behind me. I turned around but nothing was there.. strange. Walking faster now I kept hearing it. It was like every step I took, it upset the child, however, no one was near. "It's 3 am why would a kid be up this late?" I thought to myself.

-

Im home now finally, the crying stopped. Im so exhausted to the point I didn't even take my shoes off and just plopped onto the bed. The thought of the crying following me on my walk didn't even come across as a thought anymore. Im just so.. so tired.  "SURPRISE!" People shouted behind me. "Huh" I said concerned "what's this?" Jumping out of my bed shocked. "Ezraaaaaa. We've been waiting here since 11pm when you were suppose to get done work." Florna spoke. "What are you guys doing here?" This is weird, why are they in my house, how did they even get.. "It's your birthday duh! You're a dumbass sometimes I swear." Florna said well giggling. "Oh yeah but.. you didn't have to do.." "yes , yes we did! It was all apart of Mateo and I's plan. Don't ruin it now" Florna blurted out interrupting me. "Yeah, happy birthday bud sorry about Florna being a bitch right now." Mateo said rolling his eyes. "HEY! I'm sorry I'm the life of the party well you guys go wrinkle up your balls why don't ya?".

Ahh, now I see.. this is why Berlin wanted me to go home so badly. She never complains about me working late especially if she doesn't have to pay me for it.

Mateo and Florna are such a pain in the ass, their great people don't get me wrong. Surrounded by people right now when I feel so lonely is just what I might need. I can't believe I forgot about my own birthday, I'm 23 now and live by myself. My own mom didn't even call to wish me a happy birthday. I take it back I'm so glad I have Mateo and Florna in my life

Out of no where I start to burst into tears, not even quietly. Florna sprints towards me and gives me a giant hug trying to comfort me.

"Why are you crying Ezra?" She looked concerned wiping my tears away. "I feel so lost and so lonely, I don't even know what I'm doing with my life anymore."

I felt quite embarrassed to be crying in-front of the only people I have in my life. "Ezra, stop that right now. You're the sweetest most kindest man I know. Is this because I called Florna a bitch..?"  Mateo said with his soft voice patting me on the back well Florna is still giving me a warm comforting hug.

"Don't be silly Mateo." Florna spoke back. "No. No it's not.. it's just Florna we've been together for two years now I'm 23 and you're 24. Why haven't you wanted to move in with me?" I added. Florna seemed quite shocked I've stated something like that especially infront of Mateo.

"Uh should I leave?" Mateo awkwardly mumbled with a pause.

"Well Ezra, I was actually going to ask you when you wanted me to move in!" Florna jumped with excitement "now listen to me Ezra, I love you with my heart. I want to live with you and especially keep you company. It's beyond real how you can deal with so much stress all the time". "Thanks Florna" I stated "when can you move in, how about that? I'm sorry for crying I didn't intend too, it's a mixture of loneliness and happiness because you guys always manage to cheer me up on hard days."

Mateo started to smile and patted me on the head "that's more like it champ! Keep your head up, Florna is a lucky girl to have you."

My heart feels so warm and loved I'm really the lucky one to have such great people in my life who care about me, unlike my own mother who kicks me out after I got kicked out of college - with no money.

"Hey listen boys, there's a party that Amelia is having on Saturday. We should totally go! I bet it would cheer you up Ezra and you won't be a hiding turtle anymore." Strange that Florna wants to go to a.. party? She never wants to go to anything yet party. "A party? Wow whose this girl?" Mateo blurted obviously pointing out how much of a loner my girlfriend is. "Yeah I don't know just a thought. Thought it might cheer up the mood."

I looked over at Mateo confused for a second and asked Florna "who even is Amelia". "Fuck I was hoping you wouldn't of asked, but she's my new friend." She paused and looked at Mateo "because I ACTUALLY have friends unlike others in this room" she added. "Come on now be nice" Mateo said with a sarcastic tone. "Sure let's do it!" I shouted well doing the sprinkler dance. "Please stop that Ezra, I love you but come on now, don't even think about doing that at the party or I will be so embarrassed and pretend I don't know who you are."

Later on throughout the night / morning I got a text from my mother. I tried to hide it from Florna and Mateo because I knew they would get all bitchy about my mother.