II

Vance looked up, the street lights gave him a better view of the person in front of him. It was a boy from school, Bruce Yamada. He was well known just about everywhere in Denver. Bruce was a pretty good baseball player, got decent grades, and everyone looks up to him at school. Why was he using his time to check up on Vance? Vance was only known for being a total douche. Why was the golden boy attempting to start a conversation with him. Or even be coming near him. He thought back to the question Bruce had asked him just a second ago. It was a question with a truly obvious answer. He wasn't alright, but he wasn't gonna say that. Vance thought it would be better to just not say anything at all. Vance sat on the bench in silence, his knees still pressed against his chest. Vance stared at the ground. His eyes then traveled from the concrete to Bruce as he slowly sat down next to Vance on the bench. Vance rolled his eyes in frustration. He wanted Bruce to go away, why wouldn't he? "Isn't your name Vance?" Bruce asked. Vance nodded his head. "I know we don't know each other that well at all, but can you tell me what's got you so down?" Bruce asked. "It just kinda seemed like you need someone to talk to.." Bruce continued. Vance stayed silent for a bit, until he agreed.

"My stepdad has somethin' wrong with him. Him and my mom met at a group home when she worked there. They got together and all that. He takes medicine, don't know what for. They stopped working recently, so he's been acting.. off." Vance explained. "They fought again today. I went to grab some food to eat and the fucker pulls my hair. That started a fight between me and him. A physical one. That's why me and my mom are at that shitty excuse for a hotel just down the road." Vance continued, still looking at the ground. Bruce had no idea what to say. He can't believe Vance had to go through that. He looked at Vance, who looked like he was about to cry. Staying silent, he pulled Vance into a hug. Vance was suprised at the sudden action, but wrapped his arms around Bruce also. Placing his head on Bruce's shoulder, he noticed Bruce smelt almost like sugar cookies. They stayed hugging for a while, as Vance enjoyed the comfort and warmth that it brought. After a minute or two, Vance almost fell asleep on Bruce. "Vance? You should probably go back to your hotel. It's getting really late." Bruce said pulling away from the hug. Vance groaned as he rubbed his eyes. "Do you want me to walk with you to make sure you don't fall asleep on the way there?" Bruce asked, laughing. Vance just nodded in response as Bruce stood up. Bruce held his hand out to help Vance get up. Vance got up and walked with Bruce to the hotel.

They reached the hotel and made their way to the elevator. It was just awkward silence until Vance started talking. "Hey, thanks for letting me talk to you. I really appreciate it y'know." Vance said looking at Bruce, giving a soft smile. Vance smiling with no mischievous intent to it was rare. "It was seriously no problem." Bruce said, smiling back at the blonde. They finally reached the second floor and went to find his room. "What room was it again?" Bruce asked Vance. "Room 205.." Vance said while yawning.

They finally found his room after a little searching. They were now standing outside of the door. Vance pulled Bruce into another hug, thanking him again. Nobody has ever been as nice to him as Bruce was tonight. They then said their goodbyes and Vance unlocked the door and disappeared into the hotel room.