Chapter Two

Rootspring slipped into camp sluggishly. He still carried the slightly dying daisies in his jaws as he walked through camp, his head low. Ever since Bristlefrost died, cats always seemed to stare at him. I'm just a sad sight to them, or just a pathetic warrior who cannot stop mourning. Rootspring thought to himself.
The tom approached a small hole next to the Medicine den and slipped in quietly. This was his new den. After Bristlefrost's death, he had to dig it out, because of his nightmares and fidgeting. Rootspring turned to a small hole in the wall and dropped the daisies in. That was where all the old, dying and wilted daisies laid after he replaced them every few moons.
Slowly, Rootspring curled up into a ball and put his head down. The Skyclan tom hadn't slept in atleast a moon, for his nightmares were too painful. Her screams echoing his mind. 'Save me! Save me! Why do you ignore me! Traitor!'
Rootspring flinched. Her pain-filled mews always hurt so much, and no herbs could help him. Because of his mourning, Rootspring had been off warrior duties for moons. Many warriors were jealous or called him a slacker, but many also knew and could see his pain and suffering. So usually he was left alone. Only Needleclaw, Violetshine and Tree spoke to him daily. Rootspring appreciated their attempts at cheering him up, but the attempts always failed, and Rootspring knew why. He also knew everyone else knew.
The yellow tom sighed, "they'll be picking prey soon, so I'd better get going." Rootspring mumbled to himself. This was the way he avoided eating.
Rootspring shuffled out his den and immediately drifted across camp, then out the camp entrance. He hadn't seen Violetshine or Needleclaw, so he'd be safe.
Rootspring wished he could go to Bristlefrost's grave, but it would be awkward if Ivypool was there.
Ivypool was the only other cat who visited daily. Normally it was nice, but he knew she needed space.
So instead, Rootspring lifelessly dragged himself over rocks and over to a large pine tree. He sat at the roots, where daisies grew plentifully. This was his second favorite spot, ever. Rootspring let out a sigh and drifted off into his head, and eventually, he felt his eyes flutter closed.

* * *

The tom ran and ran, his breath quickened as he sprinted. The tom's fur pushed back against the wind but it felt like he was running on the spot.
The tom felt something grip his yellow foot with great power. He yelped, "no! No! I must get back!" The cat yowled at the top of his lungs as he fell and began getting dragged.
"Please! Help!" The tom called to the silhouette, slowly disappearing.
"I beg of you!" He sobbed, choking on his voice as he struggled to breathe and speak.
Suddenly, the cat was infront of him, and the yellow tom recognized her grey fur. Bristlefrost!
The beautiful she-cat leaned down with a strange smile.
"No," she laughed, he laughter starting soft and suddenly got louder and more malicious. No.. that's not Bristlefrost! No!

* * *

Rootspring yelped and lept up. He panted and panted. The tom's eyes wide. "She.. I.. I left her.." He breathed out, beginning to sob again, staring at the ground. His claws were unseathed and the grass around him had been shredded.
Rootspring couldn't speak another word. He just continued to sob as he walked down the roots and through the forest again, ignoring the voices behind him.
The tom followed the light stone and daisy path he made and headed towards the grave. Waves lapped nearby rocks as he arrived, and Rootspring collapsed beside the rock and daisies. Ignoring the fact that the sun was setting, he curled up on messy moss.
He let his eyes swell up and he gripped the soft dirt, which was slightly muddy from the recent rain. "Why was it her. Why not anyone else.. why not me?" The yellow cat cried outloud.
"I couldn't save you."

** Sorry this was so short!!! I'll start updating it more, I promise! Anyways!! Enjoy this update!! **