of all the lies i have ever lived, my favourite was you and i

Tommy felt the ocean hit his ankles, the cold water hitting him as if to remind him he was still conscious. As if to remind him that he was not there.

The wind tussled with his dirty golden locks, the breeze making him sway on his feet. His red shoes now littered in holes and dirt. His shoe laces covered in mud, far too lazy to tie them.

Tommy had no words. He had so much he wanted to say, so much he could say. Yet, he didn't know how to say it. He didn't know how to say goodbye. He didn't want to say goodbye. Tommy's throat was sore and dry, the clouds brewing up a storm as he gaped his mouth open.

"Wil," he swallowed harshly. "If you are... going," The thunder boomed loudly as he trembled with his fists clenched tightly. "Why di— Why didn't you ever say sorry?"

There was a pause as Tommy lifted his gaze up off the ground and stared into the eyes at who he used to once consider a friend, but now, a brother . The same hazel eyes that would sing Tommy to sleep as Wilbur played guitar, the same eyes that blew up the nation that the two had built from the ground up. The same two eyes that Tommy told what happened in exile .

"Why didn't you ever say sorry for everything you did, to me ?" Tommy felt his eyes water, a small sharp breath inhaled before continuing. "For blowing up— Wil you blew up L'manburg, man!" Tommy dug his dirty bitten nails into his palms as he felt warm hot tears drip down his cheeks.

"Y—You— In Pogtopia, you weren't kind . I-I— No, if you really are going I've gotta say this." Wilbur stared back into the eyes of his younger brother, into the once crystal blue eyes that are now a dullish gray blue. "The thing we built together, Y-You abandoned me!— when you made this burger van!" You could hear Wilbur trying his best to defend himself, you can hear him stumble for words, stuttering as he tried to stop Tommy from talking so he could prove his brother wrong.

"My exile , Wil! The prison! All of this time that we— It's just so unfair , okay!?" Tommy yelled, breaking down into a sob. Ten fingers made their way up into Tommy's hair, pulling on the strands.

He wasn't ready to see his big brother die, he was so sick of everybody leaving him.

"I think it's your fault, alright? Cause you could have just stopped on that first day, on L'manburg, alright? W—W—With— With Schlatt who you— you— who was my hero, man. It's just fucking— You just let it all go to shit." Tommy paced around, waving his hands around as to emphasize how big this meant to him. "Why didn't you ever say sorry , for any of that?"

Tommy walked forward past his brother, avoiding Wilbur's gaze as he stared out at the sunset. Wilbur took a shallow breath, looking off to the side.

"It's b— Tommy, it's— Tommy, it's because I was scared you wouldn't forgive me."

Tommy froze, his shoulders relaxed and dropped down from his ears as he slowly turned around to face his brother.

"Wha—?"

"Pa— Part of the agreement I made with myself when I spoke to Philza, he told me that once you've said your forgiveness to people and you've— you've, you know you've— you've, you've had the, the.. pleasure of— the honor of being able to apologize to someone if they don't forgive you, you should just— move on and leave their life forever. Tommy come over here, please ."

The blonde shuffled over to his older brother, hope filled in his eyes as he stared back at him. Hope that maybe, just maybe , Wilbur cared for Tommy.

"Tommy I was scared I wouldn't see you again if you didn't forgive me." Wilbur sighed, and Tommy stuttered. Wilbur spoke again, "And I didn't want to not see you again."